Politics. - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshively
I had a prof who failed me in college because he went on some tangent about Vietnam and I did not agree with him.
It wasn't Sam Kinnison? Was it? :vent: Loved that scene in "Back to School".

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Cooker

Quote:
One thing also is those 160 who pressed that were probably college students who only did it because their prof told them to. Go to any college campus and ask a political question and you will get an exact rendition of what some prof said in class. Bunch of kool-aid drinking idiots.

I had a prof who failed me in college because he went on some tangent about Vietnam and I did not agree with him.
Pity. Sorry to hear that. It discourages people from thinking for themselves and kills their desire to learn. I had the exact opposite happen.

Prof was taking a very strong stand and had done some outside writing on a controversial issue. I was absolutely and squarely in the opposition. Sure enough it was an essay topic choice on the final.

This ticked me off so I wrote what I believed using what I'd learned in the class. Got an A- on the exam. He was a notoriously hard grader so I went back and asked why. Said he gave extra credit since he realized I'd chosen an especially hard path. (The more I think about this over the years the more I respect him.)

Then I asked him why I didn't get an A+. He laughed and said "Because I didn't agree with some of your conclusions." and invited me to keep trying to convince him. Kept up a dialog with that guy till he passed away several years later and learned a lot in the process.

Maybe if we had more profs like that we wouldn't see stuff like the Washington Post reported.

Sorry to run on but that 1 out of 8 giving Washington an unfavorable just shows me an ignorance or apathy or I don't know what that just really gets under my skin.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
Cooker

Quote:
Rob,

Another thing that may have attributed to the 1 out 8 is the whole slavery issue. .
Didn't think of that. It'd be a fair discussion point.

Quote:

The one guy that needs to be drug out and shot though is that moron is Colorado who compared the victims of 9/11 to the Nazis and suprise suprise he was a college prof and I bet you 20 bucks he spent part of the 70s in Canada.
That's a pretty unfortunate comparison. I worked at 2 World Trade.