Politics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Gang Sorry. I generally avoid political statements but this really upset me and I need to vent.

I was in DC this weekend and the Washington Post reported that 12% of the American people gave George Washington an Unfavorable job performance rating.

George Washington! Man did this torque me off. What that guy pulled off and what he had to go through and then 1 out of 8 of us gives him an unfavorable? And these are the same people voting for today's elected representatives?

Maybe Churchill was right. "The best argument against democracy is 15 minutes w/the average voter."

Sorry, I respect everyone's opinions and look for the wisdom in everything but it is really hard for me to see a silver lining here. One out of 8 of us thinks George Washington did a poor job!!!!

:rant:

Maybe one of you kind souls out there can fill me in on whatever it is I'm missing in this country's popular culture these days.

Larry
The 12% more than likely didn't know which George Washington they were talking about. They thought it was about the guy at the end of the block who's dog craps on the stoop in front of their building.
Jim

Yeah. Still ticks me off Jim. 2000 respondents that means 160 people still pushed the Unfavorable button.

Not gonna go any further here because when you're angry it's best to remain silent.

160 American voters when asked stated they thought George Washington had done a poor job as president. **** Rob shaking head in disbelief *****

FATZ said:
Well, I am part of "American people" and I don't believe I was ever asked that question.

From what I understand, he was the "action hero" of his time.

ROCK ON, Original GW!!!!!!!

Yeah... I know. Personal hero of mine. Based on the little bit I've read about those guys I'm not sure the revolution would have succeeded without him.

Did you know he is still the only American President to take the field of battle? (Forget about the revolution where he was under direct fire.) He took it again after election during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Put his life and his personal estate at risk for principe from which we've all benefited and 1 out of 8 of us states he did a poor job in office.

I know I'm not one of that 12% but geez..... does this make me angry.

Bet he smoked a pretty good ham too... OK I'm cooling down now.

jminion said:
Larry
The 12% more than likely didn't know which George Washington they were talking about. They thought it was about the guy at the end of the block who's dog craps on the stoop in front of their building.
Jim

Jim,
You inadvertantly addressed me in your reply to the politics thread. Rob wrote the post, not me??? :shock: Nice to see you are thinking of me though! ;)

ROB O said:
FATZ said:
Well, I am part of "American people" and I don't believe I was ever asked that question.

From what I understand, he was the "action hero" of his time.

ROCK ON, Original GW!!!!!!!

Yeah... I know. Personal hero of mine. Based on the little bit I've read about those guys I'm not sure the revolution would have succeeded without him.

Did you know he is still the only American President to take the field of battle? (Forget about the revolution where he was under direct fire.) He took it again after election during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Put his life and his personal estate at risk for principe from which we've all benefited and 1 out of 8 of us states he did a poor job in office.

I know I'm not one of that 12% but geez..... does this make me angry.

Bet he smoked a pretty good ham too... OK I'm cooling down now.

Rob, I've got to correct you on that "field of battle" thingy. George H Bush was shot down in the Pacific during WW II. I agree with your take on the morons in this country though. Actually, whoever posed the question was , most likely, trying to elicit just such a response to prove this point. Kind of like a Leno thing? You know, "what state is Pennsylvania in?" kind of thing? Woody

Susan Z said:
John Hanson (folks around this area might have heard of the John Hanson highway, named after him cuz he was he's a Marylander) was the first "President of the United States in Congress Assembled."
Yep! Went to John Hanson Jr. High for a year and a month in Oxon Hill..

Woodman said:
Rob, I've got to correct you on that "field of battle" thingy. George H Bush was shot down in the Pacific during WW II. I agree with your take on the morons in this country though. Actually, whoever posed the question was , most likely, trying to elicit just such a response to prove this point. Kind of like a Leno thing? You know, "what state is Pennsylvania in?" kind of thing? Woody

You're right about that Wood and there have been others that came under fire *prior* to assuming the office. JFK, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ulysees Grant are famous examples (I'm assuming Grant actually came under fire at some point in his career).

What I meant was a sitting president taking the field as Commander in Chief. I'm pretty sure Washington is the only one who ever did it.

Oh, Ok. That's true then! On the Hanson thing, there's a guy near here who has a museum dedicated to all the "other" presidents. He's kind of eccentric though!! :loony:

jshively said:
One thing also is those 160 who pressed that were probably college students who only did it because their prof told them to. Go to any college campus and ask a political question and you will get an exact rendition of what some prof said in class. Bunch of kool-aid drinking idiots.

I had a prof who failed me in college because he went on some tangent about Vietnam and I did not agree with him.

Pity. Sorry to hear that. It discourages people from thinking for themselves and kills their desire to learn. I had the exact opposite happen.

Prof was taking a very strong stand and had done some outside writing on a controversial issue. I was absolutely and squarely in the opposition. Sure enough it was an essay topic choice on the final.

This ticked me off so I wrote what I believed using what I'd learned in the class. Got an A- on the exam. He was a notoriously hard grader so I went back and asked why. Said he gave extra credit since he realized I'd chosen an especially hard path. (The more I think about this over the years the more I respect him.)

Then I asked him why I didn't get an A+. He laughed and said "Because I didn't agree with some of your conclusions." and invited me to keep trying to convince him. Kept up a dialog with that guy till he passed away several years later and learned a lot in the process.

Maybe if we had more profs like that we wouldn't see stuff like the Washington Post reported.

Sorry to run on but that 1 out of 8 giving Washington an unfavorable just shows me an ignorance or apathy or I don't know what that just really gets under my skin.

jshively said:
Rob,

Another thing that may have attributed to the 1 out 8 is the whole slavery issue. .

Didn't think of that. It'd be a fair discussion point.

jshively said:
The one guy that needs to be drug out and shot though is that moron is Colorado who compared the victims of 9/11 to the Nazis and suprise suprise he was a college prof and I bet you 20 bucks he spent part of the 70s in Canada.

That's a pretty unfortunate comparison. I worked at 2 World Trade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom