Photos of Greensburg, KS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Here is a link to the Wichita Eagle which has some amazing aerial and on-the-ground pictures of the devastation in Greensburg, KS. Truly a miracle that more people were not killed.

www.kansas.com

last night on the news, they said that if that tornado were in the city, it would have gone through 10 zip codes :shock: such destruction....the people are strong and want to rebuild.

I can't even begin to imagine the depth of feeling of loss and hopelessness some people must be feeling. It gives you a whole new outlook on the "bad day" you might be having.

I read in the paper that the sirens sounded 20 min. before it hit.
People there say if it wasn't for that they would never had made it.
Hug your family tonight.

I was struck by the fact that fatality #10 was a police officer whose car was flung 300 yards into a field. I have to assume he could have sought a safe place, but instead he was trying to get to rural residents -- who didn't have benefit of a warning siren -- to help them to shelter.

--John 8)

I can not fathom the sense of overwhelming loss the citizens of the area must be feeling. Once in my life, I watched a small F1 tornado touch down about a mile from me. Thankfully, it wasn't bigger and didn't hit near anyone's homes or in the town I lived in. The sirens wouldn't have been much help as they only went off about half an hour AFTER we watched it.

It's really sad that the officer was killed while trying to help others. Just a couple of weeks ago, there were 2 tornadoes in Laporte County, Indiana and one in Berrien Springs, Michigan. An officer in Laporte was in her car, trying to get to shelter, and one of the tornadoes picked her car up and carried it several hundred feet across the road. The car was really a mess but she wasn't seriously injured. You just never know when it's going to be your time.

Back
Top Bottom