Philly Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
I did these last night for the first time. I had the butcher shave me a nice rib eye yesterday. Wow does it seem to make more when its shaved. Got the skillet real hot and threw on some onions and garlic, evoo. I removed the garlic after about 30 seconds. Then I added the meat to the onions and cooked it up. Half way through I squirted beef boulion base into it and it smoked and smelled deliciouse. Then topped them with Whizz! Heres some more phone cam pics.

img_197319_0_25643c639e1ae4ec7dd6a0dd8e623305.jpg

img_197319_1_371ed6a4741d275bc14f5f6c81a89f17.jpg

img_197319_2_e7370eafe719f6e0572153319bcf8ae8.jpg

Heres a burger we did on hot dog buns a week or so ago. They look like cookie monster or oscar burgers.

img_197319_3_8e7128ac19180f6a02d754ab44ea024e.jpg

freshly shaved rib eye is the best for the philliez num numz

Captain Morgan said:
cheez whiz tastes like plastic to me, but the meat looked great!

Thanks everyone. I agree Cap. The taste of the whizz isnt what I thought it would be. Next time there will be more onions too. It was still killer though. Of course thats my bias opinion. haha ;)

dei1c3 said:
Wow, that look fantastic. I lived for about 5 years outside of Philly during my "formative" years and that has resulted in a life long love of Philly cheese steaks. And yet some how...I've never made a real quality one at home.

As far as getting shaved Rib Eye from the butcher...is that all I have to ask for or will he ask me for a thickness? If the latter, what's a good thickness for these?

Thanks and great work on the Philly!

You are right, they are very hard to make at home.
Need the right roll.
Also need the right sauce, american cheese and mushrooms.

Rag said:
dei1c3 said:
Wow, that look fantastic. I lived for about 5 years outside of Philly during my "formative" years and that has resulted in a life long love of Philly cheese steaks. And yet some how...I've never made a real quality one at home.

As far as getting shaved Rib Eye from the butcher...is that all I have to ask for or will he ask me for a thickness? If the latter, what's a good thickness for these?

Thanks and great work on the Philly!

You are right, they are very hard to make at home.
Need the right roll.
Also need the right sauce, american cheese and mushrooms.

I told my girl at the store last night " these arent the right rolls. I had to get what they had. Then I toasted them at 200 for prob. 20 minutes.

Dei1c3 - Thank you for askin - I told them thin like paper or as thin as you can get it. Mine (from Albertsons) was about 1/16" inch. It took and made a 1.25lb rib eye and turned it into seemingly 2lbs. It just looks like ALOT more.

( I asked the guys at a local place that has prime beef if they would shave it? they said for an extra $1.50 per lb they'de do it). Your a butcher thats your job! Some people are just ding a lings.

Any big market will slice/ shave it any way you want it and "shave sounds" like a closer cut if you use that term ( to me anyways).

Rag - I still kick myself in the A** for not buyin you a beer while we were in Philly. It was fun but kinda busy. Looks like a fun place and got to taste a few different places.

Rap Up: We went to Genos. I know people have their opinion but mine was Holy Shh this is awesome. Whizz or not? Hell ya, whizz!

Hey Buck..looks like mighty fine grazings to me. I got a big weakness for them januine Texas Cheese Steaks (They was invented in Filly, Texas of course). Ya know my Uncle Jim from down at Graham used to pop the top off that Cheez Whiz and eat the whole jar with a spoon. Great choice on the cheese. I tends to use Velvetter cuz it usually whut is on hand. Seem we po folks so I use Steak Ums. Thats how they was originally intended to be made. Don't neva add garlic to a hot skillet. Wait till some liquid gets build up. Justeen learnt me that. Great job!!

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Hey Buck..looks like mighty fine grazings to me. I got a big weakness for them januine Texas Cheese Steaks (They was invented in Filly, Texas of course). Ya know my Uncle Jim from down at Graham used to pop the top off that Cheez Whiz and eat the whole jar with a spoon. Great choice on the cheese. I tends to use Velvetter cuz it usually whut is on hand. Seem we po folks so I use Steak Ums. Thats how they was originally intended to be made. Don't neva add garlic to a hot skillet. Wait till some liquid gets build up. Justeen learnt me that. Great job!!

bigwheel

Roughly 30 sec on the skillet. It didnt burn. And yep velveteer prob. tast WAY better.

It tastes a little different than cheese whiz but not much. If you really wanted to make a heavenly flavor mix the velvetter 50/50 with some sharp cheddar. The Velvetter will make it all melt together nicely and the cheddar give it a wallop of flavor.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
It tastes a little different than cheese whiz but not much. If you really wanted to make a heavenly flavor mix the velvetter 50/50 with some sharp cheddar. The Velvetter will make it all melt together nicely and the cheddar give it a wallop of flavor.

bigwheel

Nice!

Ill try it tomorrow. I wont get pics though. Wife has to work. Ill find out if I can send pics on my phone.. :oops: Im a little technology slow...wait a minute...Im alotta technology slow... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom