Peas and dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
May have posted about these last year, but they're so good, have to post again. Never heard of this until I married my wife. She picked the peas fresh in the am then covered with water and cooked til tender then added milk, butter, S&P and a little flour to thicken. Bring to a boil and add drop dumplings. Toooooooooo good
img_189050_0_4a0f04af49528b5d9de5ddb034bdeaa4.jpg

Sounds simple but good! Add some shrimp and it would look like shrimp with lobster sauce from the chinese restaurant!

This reminds me of the Nail Soup story. Old broke lady only had a nail so she decided to make some soup with it. Everybody passed by thought it smelled so good they give her a little of their stuff to go in it too. By the end of the story it was some purty fair soup or stoup as me and my girlfriend Rachel Ray calls it. I am stuck cooking two fair sized 7 bone chuck roasts in the big DO on top of the stove. I would give yall the recipe but it gonna be so good yall couldn't stand it. Now will it be as good as peas n dumplins? Who knows? :LOL:

bigwheel

I'm chuckling big dude. Fresh peas and new potatoes in white sauce is a local favorite here, only we don't get peas until the end of August.

Griff said:
I'm chuckling big dude. Fresh peas and new potatoes in white sauce is a local favorite here, only we don't get peas until the end of August.
With all the daylight, I'd have thought you'd get a crop of peas in about a week. :) :) Creamed peas and new taters is what my mom always fixed but the dumplings kicks it up a notch.

I was expecting to see some chicken, but that don't need it!! Looks mighty tasty!

Got to be either English..Irish or Polish. They are the only ones who eat odd stuff like that. In an ideal world the Germans would run the trains..the Frog Eating Frenchies and Eyetalians would do the cooking..and the cops would all be Limeys. Now the dumb Pollocks and drunk Irishmen got to fit in here somewhere:)

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:
What country does that recipe origanate from?

Looks great too
It came from my wife's fathers family and as best we know they invented it. They were fairly poor farmers in the Tennessee mountains with 9 kids and I suspect this was a way to make their peas go farther. First time I ate them I ate all that were left in the serving bowl and now grow peas in my garden just for this dish. Frozen will work also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom