Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I need help with auto spray painting. That was fair warning to skip on by, if you're not into this kind of goofyness.
I'm spraying my hit and miss engine block with Dupont auto paint. Very expensive $hit.
I'm using a HVLP gun. It shoots spots like not all the paint is atomizing.
There are 3 adjustments on the gun. Air, spray pattern and paint flow. I'm cranking all three, but really don't know how to set it up.
The paint is not covering well, or going on very heavy.
What sequence or order of adjustments should be made???
Is a HVLP gun even the right tool for a high gloss, smooth paint finish??

What do you have the regulator on the air compressor set at? 40 lbs should be plenty. Did you use any type of thinner?

Is this a "hit and miss" engine? I saw a local news story on this place (The Fresh House, in Locust NC) a day or so ago. Their little engine is running the ice cream maker.

hit%20and%20miss.jpg

(Edit) I think I answered my own question:
http://www.grandpascountrybutchershop.com/ice_cream.htm
There's a link to a video clip near the bottom of the page. It takes a while to load, but I thought it was interesting.

Oh yeah, that's a H&M. You can hear it fire (hit) every 4 to 6 revs. As it is loaded down (slowed) it will hit on more cycles to maintain speed.
I painted a sheet metal panel today that looked really good (shiny). Got my pressures, paint flow and pattern down. It had a little distortion to the finish...maybe what is called orange peel....but still looked good. Going to shoot a trailer tomorrow and if all goes ok, will paint my engine.
Then I have to put the hundred pieces back together.

Back
Top Bottom