Opening a BBQ Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cap...just a thought...

Why not make 1ea of every item that you are planning to serve and send one to everyone here. That way we could critique your 'q and have some actuall field testsing. If that seems like too much, send me a cooked butt and brisket and Ill let you know. Just be advised, one may not be enough to get a good sampling. You may have to send several over the course of the summer..say maby 1 of each every wed so they will be here by the weekend. If thats too much, every other weekend will work.

Oh, and dont forget the sides !!

I wish you luck Cap... best advice I would give you is to call Raine and get her to tell you what they went through in starting theirs.. Hidden costs, etc....

T'will be time consuming... Just ask Raine... Raine who? Does she still post here?

1200 a month sounds real good.. commercial rent is spensive....

I am behind ya Cap... whatever your decision may be!

IF you sell them ribs you do so well, you will do great. Have it ready when I come down in Aug. I'll bring the whole family, All 20 of us.

I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Jim: All I can tell you is go with your gut. I'm still not open and not sure when I will be, I'm taking my time and checking things 10 times before I move on to the next step. What I did was to make out a check list of EVERY THING I need and might need right down to wet naps. You may be surprised how fast just the little things that you need to keep on hand add up! That's all money sitting on a shelf waiting to be used. Sure opening a place is a gamble, But I'm only gambling what I can afford to loose. If there was any question of loosing my house to support the business I'd bale in a heart beat, But no one can say I didn't try.
Best wishes,
Chris L.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Jim: All I can tell you is go with your gut. I'm still not open and not sure when I will be, I'm taking my time and checking things 10 times before I move on to the next step. What I did was to make out a check list of EVERY THING I need and might need right down to wet naps. You may be surprised how fast just the little things that you need to keep on hand add up! That's all money sitting on a shelf waiting to be used. Sure opening a place is a gamble, But I'm only gambling what I can afford to loose. If there was any question of loosing my house to support the business I'd bale in a heart beat, But no one can say I didn't try.
Best wishes,
Chris L.

That hit it on the head!

Cappy, take that $27,000, buy a 30" x 8 ft mobile, a couple of EZ Ups, some tables, cookware, knives, etc. Get a truck too. Set yourself up as a backyard caterer. If you get free advertising, sell it as "Have Captain Morgan cook Que for your next party." Hell, run a contest where the winner gets you to cater a parrty carried live on the radio! Don't tie yourself to a restaraunt! I made GOOD money last summer and am doing well this summer as well! I can take a week off if I want/need. And, I have a large pit to do competitions when I can. If you go into the restaraunt business:

I think your nuts!

I'll wish you all the best luck!

I'll miss your insight here (Raine)!

Woodcaterer

Woodman said:
Cappy, take that $27,000, buy a 30" x 8 ft mobile, a couple of EZ Ups, some tables, cookware, knives, etc. Get a truck too. Set yourself up as a backyard caterer. If you get free advertising, sell it as "Have Captain Morgan cook Que for your next party." Hell, run a contest where the winner gets you to cater a parrty carried live on the radio! Don't tie yourself to a restaraunt! I made GOOD money last summer and am doing well this summer as well! I can take a week off if I want/need. And, I have a large pit to do competitions when I can. If you go into the restaraunt business:

I think your nuts!

I'll wish you all the best luck!

I'll miss your insight here (Raine)!

Woodcaterer

I agree 100%. Start a catering business and allow it to mature and see if IT(demand/following/loyalty) forces you into opening your own place, not the other way around where you are praying for customers and building a clientele. At least with catering you will have a captive audience, so to speak, for your product. How long would it take for those 200-300+ people to wander their way into your place on their own accord? Hell, for that matter, if you do cater, start a "guest mailing list" for yourself so if/when you do open your own place you'll have a ready made mailing list of people who have already enjoyed your bbq. Just have them sign a book. Might be slightly bad in taste but clear it with whoever hires you or make it part of your deal.

People will travel distances to get good bbq. True story...When Woodman had his cook at his house in May he told me "I didn't think you would drive and hour and a half to my house to eat bbq". My response was "Two reasons...I know it will be good(not as good as mine but...) :!: , and I don't have to cook it. I'm tired of going to places that have crappy bbq". It's actually quite a compliment from me because I usually hate 90% of the bbq "out". Only the "real" stuff that most of us cook will do.

Whatever you do...good luck!! =D> =D>

AlliesOleMan said:
Cappy, from looking at what youve posted, the only question is where is the location of the resturant. If you are anywhere near the tourist area then you will sell 50 plates plus to start. When we was down there working I looked all over the areas we went. Now I understand that we didnt get all over town but we went all the way down 501 and halfway down Kingshighway and never seen any Q.

What really sucked was I told the other guys how great it is and we never found it. So if your close to the tourist hot spots youll do great....Maybe next year you can get in around SuckBangBlow during bike week.........youll be able to retire off of that......lol

Whatever you decide I will stop the next time I am there, you can count on it
Cappy hides during that week... and the 'other' biker week.

Finney said:
If you're asking this board's advice, you are too stupid to run a business. Forget it... put your money in a sock. #-o

Ah.... What the heck... Do it! Jump in there buddy. I'll be there on opening day. =D> =D> =D>

I'll come up a couple days in advance and help you prep out for opening day. Maybe stay a few days to help out. I think your crazy... but I like crazy.

The restaurant business sucks, long hours, nights and weekends, low margin, fickle clientele, the whole nine yards. I spent 30 years running restaurants, 2 of them were my own, 1 a BBQ joint. I loved every minute of it. I'd do it again if I could get nights and weekends off. :)

Jack

Finney said:
AlliesOleMan said:
Cappy, from looking at what youve posted, the only question is where is the location of the resturant. If you are anywhere near the tourist area then you will sell 50 plates plus to start. When we was down there working I looked all over the areas we went. Now I understand that we didnt get all over town but we went all the way down 501 and halfway down Kingshighway and never seen any Q.

What really sucked was I told the other guys how great it is and we never found it. So if your close to the tourist hot spots youll do great....Maybe next year you can get in around SuckBangBlow during bike week.........youll be able to retire off of that......lol

Whatever you decide I will stop the next time I am there, you can count on it
Cappy hides during that week... and the 'other' biker week.

That's the one week out of the year Greg actually is allowed to come out and play.

I'm as serious as a heart attack, I have been going over this crap for two years now. You think it's easy? You think you can get up and running in a year or so? Maybe. Good for you if you can. I'm eating bologna and 5 for a buck Mac and cheese. Let's not evan talk about gasoline and delivery charges. :eek:

I don't know if this has been suggested or not. (I am lazy and only read half of the thread! :D :D ) I think this might make a good subject for your morning radio show. You could get some good input and lots of free publicity. Maybe get a buzz going before you start. :D :D

Yes. I've decided you are all idiots. lol, I have a meeting a with a guy
Monday who wants to be a partner. This is the way I prefer it. I've known him for years. You guys can say all you want about partners, and I understand, but with him, this is going to happen. If I have to kill him down the road, so be it. I want this, this is the moment, and he's already
hyped on it. If we can come to a financial agreement, I'm doing it.
Thanks for your input.

Captain Morgan said:
Yes. I've decided you are all idiots. lol, I have a meeting a with a guy
Monday who wants to be a partner. This is the way I prefer it. I've known him for years. You guys can say all you want about partners, and I understand, but with him, this is going to happen. If I have to kill him down the road, so be it. I want this, this is the moment, and he's already
hyped on it. If we can come to a financial agreement, I'm doing it.
Thanks for your input.

Well I for one want to wish ya the best of luck let Niki and I know were its going to be and whats the date of the grand opening we will be there!!!

:D So does that mean it will be up and running by Aug 5? If so then count on a large group for lunch :!: .

Back
Top Bottom