oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
I finished a smoke just as Ernesto was arriving in northern VA, and left the still-hot WSM out in the rain. This morning when I started getting it ready to put away, I found water in the bottom up to the vent holes. :oops:

Those upward-pointing WSM flanges work like funnels. Unlike the downward-pointing flange on the kettle lid. :(

--John 8)
(I am so embarrassed.)

John, what did you smoke? I'm putting a Wolfe rubbed 10 lb. chuck on tonight before I go to bed. Figured I'd get some put up before it gets cold and charcoal consumption goes up.

Griff

Griff said:
John, what did you smoke? I'm putting a Wolfe rubbed 10 lb. chuck on tonight before I go to bed. Figured I'd get some put up before it gets cold and charcoal consumption goes up.

Griff
It was just a 1-hr quickie for supper -- boneless country style ribs like I described earlier, with Wolfe Rub, my first use. I shoulda been braver and used more.

Sorry, no after pics.

Three people can't eat that much meat when two of 'em are women, so we've had some thin-sliced pork sandwiches for lunch, too.

Yesterday I baked and cubed a shank-portion ham to freeze in meal-size packages for ham and beans and cornbread. I just can't seem to get enough pork in my diet. (BTW, my bean of choice is pinto.)

What are your min and max temps now?

--John 8)

Unity my guess is you are not the only one something like that has happened to :roll: …….you might want to think about building a wind break with a cover for the WSM…it helps to keep the rain out and prevents the temp fluctuations that occur during windy cooks ;) ……where are the pics from that cook?

wittdog said:
Unity my guess is you are not the only one something like that has happened to :roll:
:LOL: I had a hunch I wasn't the first BBQ n00b to learn that the hard way.

wittdog said:
…….you might want to think about building a wind break with a cover for the WSM…it helps to keep the rain out and prevents the temp fluctuations that occur during windy cooks ;)
I'll give some thought to rigging something. I live in one of those communities with covenants on the deed where you have to get permission to do anything permanent. :roll: (But it does keep the neighbors from driving down property values, too.)

wittdog said:
……where are the pics from that cook?
See above. Country-style loin ribs is one of those cuts that has to go straight to the table or it'll lose juice, so I didn't tarry long enough to take any after pics.

--John 8)

wittdog said:
A couple of pieces of plywood and a few hinges will do the trick.

And your wife waiting with the camera will take care of the other part!

1.gif

Finney said:
John,
The flanges are that way so that the grease stays inside. It would be pretty messy if the flanges were the other way around.
That makes sense, Chris. My biggest problem was failure to think about it.

Now I've got a charcoal grate with a thicker-than-usual crust of iron oxide. ;)

--John 8)

Try inverting a #2 galvanized washtub over the top..and anchor it down with a brick or chunk of firewood. Works like a charm.

bigwheel

wittdog said:

bigwheel said:
Try inverting a #2 galvanized washtub over the top..and anchor it down with a brick or chunk of firewood. Works like a charm.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
The tub will stop the rain but the plywood helps as a windbreak....

The tub breaks quite a bit of wind too. Cooked chicken in a tornado one time using the system. It was raining sideways and wind blowing about 50 mph. Now if you want to get fancy..you can cut the bottom out of a 55 gallon barell and sit it over the top...resting the bottom on a few bricks to keep it up off the ground and allow for air intake. On the top part of the barrell keep the product hole closed and air hole open. You can cook in a blizzard in Anartica using that system. It also makes a good place to store your cooker when you aint using it. An Aggie showed me that trick. He claimed he had been cooking on the same ECB for 30 years cuz it stayed so protected inside the barrell. It also helpful to have some handles on the barrell cuz it do get hot to the touch when it time to lift the barrell off of there.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
[/quote]
The tub will stop the rain but the plywood helps as a windbreak....[/quote]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom