One of the two things I hate about Arkansas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I am a native Texan living here in Arkansas. Down in Texas there are fire ants and black widows and cotton mouths just to name a few of the more common critters that can ruin a good day off.

Here in Jonesboro there is not to much to worry with. Maybe in other parts of Arkansas but not here in the flat lands. Not even a wood roach which terrifies my wife.

There is this one bug that does more harm than anything else that I can think of in my 8 years here.

It is common knowledge passed from parent to child that if you put on a pair of boots that you haven't worn in a while, you better shake them out. Same goes for gloves coats or anything else that has been hanging around unused.

Why you ask ?

I was doing a little work in the garage today. Cleaning out this old chest of drawers.

img_180804_0_7b9b6c29c1d4ba12724794513ab664c3.jpg

I got down to the bottom drawer and turned it over the check the back.

img_180804_1_a2337fbaf1b8033735d82594d26d409a.jpg

Do you see what I see ?

img_180804_2_b1299a2f6c4f14ef54c4477886ad1590.jpg

How about now ?

img_180804_3_cc9feced31693ee04b69d88fcbd2ff52.jpg

The pic is not crystal clear but this is a Brown Recluse spider.

I hate spiders.

Yeppers lot of folks call em Fiddle Backs down here. They normally wont bother you unless you jack with em. If you get bit get to a dermatologist quick. Aint quite sure why but they the expurts on spiders for some reason. Have a chum down at Vernon who was at his Lake Cabin on Lake Kemp..got up and put on his pants. One of them pesky devils was hiding in his pants and bit him around the line where the fruit of the looms fit around the top edge. He hightailed it quick to the dermotologist and never had a hint of a problemo. Now could see if if it bit you and let it go a while...it can be real harmful. Like a black widder or a snattle rake.

bigwheel

Hey Cliff I have thought of yet the 3rd thing which piss off folks which passing through Arkieville. All the large breastes waitress always say. "You want coleslaw on that chili dawg hon?" Now talk about a disgusting custom. I tried it one time. It about made me puke. How do you feel about this kinda stuff?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Hey Cliff I have thought of yet the 3rd thing which piss off folks which passing through Arkieville. All the large breastes waitress always say. "You want coleslaw on that chili dawg hon?" Now talk about a disgusting custom. I tried it one time. It about made me puke. How do you feel about this kinda stuff?

bigwheel

I never ate pulled pork until I came to Arkansas. Slaw on pulled pork is the tradition. I can't go against tradition. I am slowly but surely spreading the brisket with no sauce gospel.

One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.

John A. said:
One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.
Doctor's suck as much as cop's! ;) :LOL:

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="John A.":kjqye88k]One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.

Pigs[/quote:kjqye88k]

But deli workers really suck!

Bruce B said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":17ymlkry][quote="John A.":17ymlkry]One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.

Pigs[/quote:17ymlkry]

But deli workers really suck![/quote:17ymlkry]
Yea, your right Bruce! ;) :LOL: But we get more cops at the deli than doctors! :D

What the hell are the other 2 in the pic? Ive never seen one of those but i hear they can do damage. From what ive been told we dont have em here in colorado because its too cold. Anyone disagree? thanks. db

dollarbill said:
What the hell are the other 2 in the pic? Ive never seen one of those but i hear they can do damage. From what ive been told we dont have em here in colorado because its too cold. Anyone disagree? thanks. db

The other two are both Brown Recluses also. One female which looks a lot different from the male and one that had lost a fight one of the others.

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3dh4eehv]Cliff, that's a nice piece. Going to refinish it? Bet it would be sweet! :D

Pigs

It's on my list of things to do before I die. :shock:[/quote:3dh4eehv]
I hear ya Cliff. I have a piece that is still in use from my great grandma (black walnut) but I kind of like it the way it is. It has cigar burns on the top from my great grandpa. :D

Pigs

Well can tell you aint got much expuriences on this kinda stuff. I could introduce you to a cowgirl over at Jacksboro who is rumored to be able to ingest a golf ball through a half inch garden hose. She the same one who can also chew all the chrome off a 2 inch trailer ball. Don't think she get's up to Noo Yawk too much. Now she do hang around at Bryson quite a bit.

bigwheel

[/quote] Doctor's suck as much as cop's! ;) :LOL:

Pigs[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom