One of the two things I hate about Arkansas - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

One of the two things I hate about Arkansas

I am a native Texan living here in Arkansas. Down in Texas there are fire ants and black widows and cotton mouths just to name a few of the more common critters that can ruin a good day off.

Here in Jonesboro there is not to much to worry with. Maybe in other parts of Arkansas but not here in the flat lands. Not even a wood roach which terrifies my wife.

There is this one bug that does more harm than anything else that I can think of in my 8 years here.

It is common knowledge passed from parent to child that if you put on a pair of boots that you haven't worn in a while, you better shake them out. Same goes for gloves coats or anything else that has been hanging around unused.

Why you ask ?

I was doing a little work in the garage today. Cleaning out this old chest of drawers.

I got down to the bottom drawer and turned it over the check the back.

Do you see what I see ?

How about now ?

The pic is not crystal clear but this is a Brown Recluse spider.

I hate spiders.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #2

Yeppers lot of folks call em Fiddle Backs down here. They normally wont bother you unless you jack with em. If you get bit get to a dermatologist quick. Aint quite sure why but they the expurts on spiders for some reason. Have a chum down at Vernon who was at his Lake Cabin on Lake Kemp..got up and put on his pants. One of them pesky devils was hiding in his pants and bit him around the line where the fruit of the looms fit around the top edge. He hightailed it quick to the dermotologist and never had a hint of a problemo. Now could see if if it bit you and let it go a while...it can be real harmful. Like a black widder or a snattle rake.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Those suck.... Be careful Cliff...
surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #4

Hey Cliff I have thought of yet the 3rd thing which piss off folks which passing through Arkieville. All the large breastes waitress always say. "You want coleslaw on that chili dawg hon?" Now talk about a disgusting custom. I tried it one time. It about made me puke. How do you feel about this kinda stuff?

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Hey Cliff I have thought of yet the 3rd thing which piss off folks which passing through Arkieville. All the large breastes waitress always say. "You want coleslaw on that chili dawg hon?" Now talk about a disgusting custom. I tried it one time. It about made me puke. How do you feel about this kinda stuff?

bigwheel
I never ate pulled pork until I came to Arkansas. Slaw on pulled pork is the tradition. I can't go against tradition. I am slowly but surely spreading the brisket with no sauce gospel.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #6

Cliff, that's a nice piece. Going to refinish it? Bet it would be sweet!

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
BBQ Centralite

One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.

"De gustibus non disputandum est,"
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A.
One got me on the upper part of my leg about 20 years ago. No pain but I had a big purple bump about the size of a golf ball the next day. I went to the emergency room and this squeamish little turd doctor asked me what happened - told him a BRS bit me. He had me sit on the bed and pulled the curtain shut, off he went. A couple of minutes later I looked out and there he was looking at a book, he looked up and said yes, it's a BRS bite - no shit I said. He put some salve and a bandage on it, wrote a RX for the salve, and sent me on my way. I changed the bandage every day for about a week and the big bump just dried up and fell off. I guess it's like a bee sting, folks have different reactions to them.
Doctor's suck as much as cop's!

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #9

[quote=Pigs On The Wing BBQ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John A.":kjqye88k
Doctor's suck as much as cop's!

Pigs[/quote:kjqye88k]

But deli workers really suck!
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #10

Thems mean little critters

Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb