old fly repelent recipes if ya got some...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I need a recipe to repell flies from the backyard. There are 1000's..once I turn the pit on they come out of the woodwork..Any old time remedies..

Well a person got to hang up the gallon ziplock bags full of water around the top edge of the porch ...then you got to stay on the porch of course. Thought everybody knew that:)

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
I need a recipe to repell flies from the backyard. There are 1000's..once I turn the pit on they come out of the woodwork..Any old time remedies..

I tried this once...seemed to work.

Take some two liter bottles and cut the top off where the label starts, invert it into the bottle and seal the top (I just used a buncha staples). Fill with 2" beer (an old one that you forgot where you put it....never use fresh beer, that would just be ...WRONG) and some yeast.
They get attracted to the cO2 and can't get out once in.

bigwheel said:
Well a person got to hang up the gallon ziplock bags full of water around the top edge of the porch ...then you got to stay on the porch of course. Thought everybody knew that:)

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:

I saw that at a comp and thought the lady was NUTS.

I ordered 3 of the Rid-Max traps.. I like the idea of dehydrating thoses dirty stinky nasty critters. Then I can feed them to my turtle!!!!!...Free turtle food!! :shock:

I have been using the rescue fly traps and they are amazing. You can't hang them in the sun though. They also smell as they fill up so you'll want to move them off to the edge of the yard.

Well that sounds like a great plan. Had a similar scheme worked out to catch fruit gnats using whiskey as the bait. It drives the warden crazy when them thangs start swarming over the ripe nanners and such thangs. Also required a funnel and a mason jar. Never did catch one but it sure sounded plausible. First I hear of the beer and yeast deal and making your own funnel and holding tank. Now I got to go buy yeast and something that comes in a two liter bottle. I got beer on the way so that is no problemo so to speak. Hope nobody gets infected on this deal. Thanks.

bigwheel

ScottyDaQ said:
I tried this once...seemed to work.

Take some two liter bottles and cut the top off where the label starts, invert it into the bottle and seal the top (I just used a buncha staples). Fill with 2" beer (an old one that you forgot where you put it....never use fresh beer, that would just be ...WRONG) and some yeast.
They get attracted to the cO2 and can't get out once in.

I have lots of problems with flies here also. They know when I am smoking or grilling. My last best effort was to drape a sticky fly strip over the garbage bag that I had just tossed in the can that the city picks up. That catches a bunch of them but I am going to try some of these ideas.

Back
Top Bottom