Officials: 1 Dead, Others Ill In NH Amid Meat Recall - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Pope O'Que

Officials: 1 Dead, Others Ill In NH Amid Meat Recall

A New York meat company has recalled almost 546,000 pounds of ground beef because of links to illnesses from E. coli bacteria in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts.

New Hampshire officials said they don't know whether the contaminated meat was sold in the state, but it could have been on store shelves. The two people hospitalized have since been released. The state did not specify where the infected victims in New Hampshire are from or where they bought the beef.

"One person has died and two were affected and recovered, and so we are continuing to work on this investigation with the CDC," said Chris Adamski, chief of disease control for the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.

...................................The agency said retail stores -- including Trader Joe's, Price Chopper, Lancaster, Wild Harvest, Shaw's, BJ's, Ford Brothers and Giant -- sold the ground beef...........

http://www.wmur.com/news/21487110/detail.html

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Master of All

Update on their website http://www.fairbankfarms.com/

RECALL UPDATE:

Fairbank Farms offers to help consumers “check their freezers”

Ashville, NY, Nov. 2, 2009 — Fairbank Farms issued a voluntary recall for approximately 545,699 pounds of fresh ground beef on October 31. The product, which was produced between Sept. 14 through Sept. 16, 2009, is possibly linked to E.coli O157:H7.

While the recall was for distribution centers in eight states, Fairbank Farms has learned that some of its customers may have redistributed potentially affected ground beef into other states.

Fairbank Farms says that any customers from northeastern or mid-Atlantic states, who have identified recalled ground beef products (refer to the specifically labeled list below), should remove the product from their freezers and return it to their stores for full reimbursement. Retail outlets include: ACME, BJ's, Ford Brothers, Giant Food Stores, Price Chopper, Shaw's, and Trader Joe's.

Other local grocers, not included on the list, may also be recalling ground beef products. For additional assurance, Fairbank Farms recommends that consumers check with their retailers at store level.

The recalled products are past their expiration date by 23 to 32 days. This means they are no longer being sold as fresh product in supermarkets.

“Fairbank Farms is committed to providing the most up-to-date information. The company and its customers are taking all precautions necessary to ensure consumer safety and welfare,” says Ron Allen, CEO of Fairbank Farms. “We’re assisting our customers in conducting this recall, and continue to urge consumers to check their freezers for ground beef products that are listed in the recall. Consumers who identify these products should return them to the point of purchase for a full refund.”

Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

Do what I do. Grind your own.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff
Do what I do. Grind your own.
That's the best approach, Puff. Grind your own and know where it came from before it hits your grinder! It's always better to know the farmer who raised your dinner for you!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #5

Well even if a person grinds their own which is a lot of trouble..once the surface meat gets forced into the inner meat block think a person could still have the potential for e coli..if there happened to be some on the surface of the meat. Best bet is to cook it well I think. For them with the fancy temp gauges anything cooked past 160 should be fairly safe I think. Normal precautions about possible contaminated utensils of course.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

This is why I'm glad I live in a little town and have a good relationship with my butcher. I just love burgers on the rare side.

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #7

Well you sound like an old Leninist drinking pal o mine cuz he will eat hamburgers at only one particular beer joint cuz they will cook it rare for him. He dont seem to be too picky about butchers neither. I swear the boy is prob eat up alive with the e coli stuff..lysteria etc. Now we have already about decided lysteria do not die at 160 seems like. Where is the Witt Dawg when somebody needing some exspurt opinyawns here?

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote