Offical Rancher Charcoal Thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I used the Rancher lump briquettes on Friday night for my two pork butts. Also used it the night before on steaks. Here is what I thought:

1. On the steaks... (1 95% full Weber chimney) no KF smell during start up which was nice. No sparking and didn't take any longer the the KS to be cook ready. After I dumped it in to the 1TG I raked it in to double thick layer and put the grate on. It was rocket hot...hotter than KF in my opinion all the way during the cook...and stayed VERY hot for the duration of the burn...which was way longer than I needed for 2 steaks. I was happy with that!

2. On the overnight. Used a full (even) ring of Rancher and soread 15 lit ranchers on top to start. Came up to temp in fine order...again no KF smell at all. I smoked 2 8lb butts...everything was assembled and together at 10pm. Held target temp of 260* (dome) all cook give or take a few degrees. Never had a spike overnight and pulled the butts off at 1pm the next day...so a solid 14hr cook...and I am happy to say that I had plenty in reserve...much to my amazement. I would say I could have gotten at least 2+ hrs more before needing to refuel. As far as the ash...it never chocked up during the cook like I have had KF do in the past...no need to stir coals at all. I let it all burn out and there was less ash than a KF cook. It was a noticeable difference to be sure!

Overall, with two cooks under my belt, I am happy that I bought 6 bags of it when it was at $2.99...but even at $4.99 its a great price! To be very clear, if you are looking to get the same ash production as lump you WILL be disappointed! It produces more ash than lump to be sure of, but, a lot less than the other brand.

REACT TO ME!

Greg Rempe said:
I used the Rancher lump briquettes on Friday night for my two pork butts. Also used it the night before on steaks. Here is what I thought:

1. On the steaks... (1 95% full Weber chimney) no KF smell during start up which was nice. No sparking and didn't take any longer the the KS to be cook ready. After I dumped it in to the 1TG I raked it in to double thick layer and put the grate on. It was rocket hot...hotter than KF in my opinion all the way during the cook...and stayed VERY hot for the duration of the burn...which was way longer than I needed for 2 steaks. I was happy with that!

2. On the overnight. Used a full (even) ring of Rancher and soread 15 lit ranchers on top to start. Came up to temp in fine order...again no KF smell at all. I smoked 2 8lb butts...everything was assembled and together at 10pm. Held target temp of 260* (dome) all cook give or take a few degrees. Never had a spike overnight and pulled the butts off at 1pm the next day...so a solid 14hr cook...and I am happy to say that I had plenty in reserve...much to my amazement. I would say I could have gotten at least 2+ hrs more before needing to refuel. As far as the ash...it never chocked up during the cook like I have had KF do in the past...no need to stir coals at all. I let it all burn out and there was less ash than a KF cook. It was a noticeable difference to be sure!

Overall, with two cooks under my belt, I am happy that I bought 6 bags of it when it was at $2.99...but even at $4.99 its a great price! To be very clear, if you are looking to get the same ash production as lump you WILL be disappointed! It produces more ash than lump to be sure of, but, a lot less than the other brand.

REACT TO ME!
I had about the same results. I just didn't write them down like Greg... [smilie=a_withstupid.gif]

No KF smell....I was hooked when I bought the first 10 bags 8)

I'm reacting to Rancher....not you :roll:

Greg Rempe said:

REACT TO ME!

No Pics = No Cook, or so I'm told ;)

my only complaint...ash flies when you lift the lid too quick.

If anyone tells me not to lift the lid so quick, I'll hunt you down
and have my dog pee on your tires.

Damn cappy, are you always in a rush? I just used this stuff for the first time and was really impressed. I'm going back to Homers tomorrow to buy another 20 bags! Thanks to who ever found this stuff and posted it over here!

I thought there were 2 other threads about Rancher charcoal started on this board :?
What makes this one official? :roll:

Maverick said:
I went to the local Home Depot to find some Rancher, and they were out. I asked if they were going to be getting anymore in, and they told me that they only received about 3 pallets to see how it would sell etc, and they will not be gettng anymore this season, but HD decided to start carrying it next year as a regular item like do with Kingsford. I had them check the others stores, and found some about a hour a way, so I drove up and bought the last 5 bags for $2.99. Looking forward to trying it, sounds like a great product, and at a good price even at $4.99.
I guess that's what happened to the HD by my house. Well, lump mesquite for now..snap crackle pop time!!!

Just found out about the Rancher sale, heading down shortly to p/u their last 32 bags 8)
Hope you didn't need anymore Puff [smilie=sorry.gif]

Bbq Bubba said:
Just found out about the Rancher sale, heading down shortly to p/u their last 32 bags 8)
Hope you didn't need anymore Puff [smilie=sorry.gif]
I'll race ya'! ;) :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom