Now THIS is a Muffaletta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
My wife, youngest daughter and I went out to eat last night. My son couldn't come because he was on call for work and we were going to a restaurant across Lake Ponchartrain and the bridge crossing the lake itself is twenty four miles long. In other words it was a long drive so I told him I'd bring something back for him. I decided to bring him back a muffaletta form this Italian restaurant. So when the waitress brings the sandwich to the table all wrapped up and bagged I had to do a double take at the size of it. It was huge. When we got home I had to take a look at this behemoth. I weighed it and it was just a half an olive under sixty ounces.
Now this is what I call a muffaletta!
img_255520_0_e7153fce0840376eed3181e4c1a32dd3.jpg

FIVE inches tall!
img_255520_1_0837ddbac09c932a8ecbcc5e27fb756d.jpg

Want a piece?
img_255520_2_da42f7ab31c070fa1784e2b421d652ee.jpg

Breath taking. My muffelata attempts at home compared to that work of art would be nothing to bother mentioning. Yall eat good down there!! Hey now..what trick do they use to keep the liquid from the olive salad from making the bread soggy? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks. Some of us may want to move to Naw'lins and open a sandwich shoppe. Maybe on the side closest to the big lake. My mind is running wild here. Sorry to hear about the Mayor trouble. I bet there is going to be some heads rolling in the Obamie Justice Dept over that deal. Just guessing.

Lol..... Opening a sandwich shop is is one of the businesses that we've had a lot of since Katrina. Prior to Hurricane Katrina we had(in the local metro area)about 835 restaurants. Today we have 1328. That's not counting grocery stores tha sell hot & cold foods, gas stations or fast food operations. Now not all are sandwich shops but many are.

If you are using the right kind of bread actually having some olive salad and a lil olive oil on the bread side makes it all the better. Or you could drain it well and put it between tthe cheeses like in the picture above. I believe this restaurant does it that way to keep it from getting too maeey for the customer.

Now on the topic of N.O.'s former mayor getting indicted. That bastard should have been indicted a long tima ago that crooked a$$#)!&! Not my mayor as I live in Metairie which is about three city blocks from N.O. I don't know why those citizens re-elected him.

Ok gotcha. Just now noticed the salad trapped by the cheeses and meats. For some reason I thought there was a layer under the top bun too..but not so. Smart thinking.
They re-elect folks to get the free cell phones..lol. I would not hold my breath to see justice served. What ever happen to the crook/politician they found with all the big bucks in his freezer? Jefferson maybe? Dont hear much out of that young man lately.

That sure doesn't look like any muffaletta I have ever seen.:(;) I don't think I could eat half of it, but I'd sure try. Maybe have the rest for a mid-afternoon snack.

BOB

Us old guys eat what we can of one half and take the other half home to Mama. I do the same thing on .35 cent wing day at the watering hole. Get 10 and eat five and snag a to go box for the other five. Thats purty cheap for good hot wings. I used to do that on 1.75 burger day too..but found that bread was making me sleepy. So now I only go on wing day and .70 taco day which is Friday. Bet some are wondering how a person keeps track of all this data huh?

I've never seem a muff with the olive salad in the middle like that, but I reckon it works. It looks awesome.

Rut row. Is this breaking some rules here? Was thinking it might be a good plan to delay the bread getting soggy..but I do not like to do illegal and or unethical stuff. Do it make all that salad fall out in your lap maybe? Thanks. I managed to pilfer a recipe for Muffs off food banter and it looks total realistic to me. Will post it in the recipe section.

Last edited:
I've never seem a muff with the olive salad in the middle like that, but I reckon it works. It looks awesome.

The only real reason I could think of is that served in the restaurant it keeps it form getting the bread oily and thus getting ones hands messy. Serveed between meats or cheeses prevents a mess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom