New Smoker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
I've been thinking lately about making a electric smoker, nothing fancy mostly for low temp stuff (and more honestly something to keep me busy for a weekend). I figure I can put it all together for fairly cheap, I was just thinking a heating element, or hot plate, some kind of chamber, and maybe a heat diffuser of some kind, but I also see I can just buy a cheap one for around 40 bucks. Anyone have any input?

Seems like if you can buy it for $40, that would be cheaper than the hot plate etc. I recently bought the stuff to smoke cheese, saw it on the Virtual Weber Bullet and I think I paid $18 for the hot plate.

Well for a cold smoker all it would take is a hotplate and cardboard box as per the Frugal Pervert. Most of nearly all electric smokers I have seen are designed for hot smoking i.e. cooking stuff (Bradley is the only exception which springs immediately to mind in which the heat and smoke are separate functions...and maybe certain pellet munchers which can make smoke with no heat but then they aint electric fired neither) . Now you can take any type R2D2 gizmo and place a hot plate in the bottom and come up with a fairly close approximation of cold smoking. The little cooker just be the containment box to hold the smoke if you cant find cardboard. Hope this helps. Now if you want to cook something using electricity buy a Brinkmann Gourmet. They cheaper than dirt but over 40. I give 58 for the one I got a few years back. Not sure how I survived without it looking back on the situation.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom