New Pics of the BBQ Central Studio...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greg, the video is good BUT. You do need a better camera and you may want to invest in a rolling tripod for the camera. There is a lot of movement in the footage. Just a suggestion.

Whoa, JB, your microphone is so much bigger than Greg's, and your console, talk about console envy. :D

I was actually looking at single channel compressors in a catalog today. The really good ones are about $2000! I've bot a Yamaha 500 watt powered 12 channel mixer we are currently using in my band. We will be over at 9:00 tonight for the live broadcast?

Woodman said:
I was actually looking at single channel compressors in a catalog today. The really good ones are about $2000! I've bot a Yamaha 500 watt powered 12 channel mixer we are currently using in my band. We will be over at 9:00 tonight for the live broadcast?

are you looking for one for your bass ???

Woodman said:

Bring it Woodman!

All this audio gear is reminding me of my late teens when I was a weekend DJ at a 1,000-watt AM station in eastern IL. Transistors were just making it into consumer products (6-trans radios), but everything in the station ran on tubes. I had two 16" turntables and a rack of reel-to-reel tape machines, controlled from a simple console with VU meters, switches, and about half a dozen pots for off-on and volume. The UP news came in on a teleprinter. Things have changed. :D

--John 8)

Griff said:
Cool Greg. BTW, what's a compressor do?
It ajust's the audio signal to a constant output level so you don't get t00 loud or T00 soft in the voume of the sound... Kinda like a pop off valve it can be ajusted to any volume/compression rate needed...
Think of it like this A pro microphone can reproduce a gunshot at real/true volume levels, but a home sterio system will not reproduce that instant peak in volume from the gunshot accuratly. Only a pro sound sys with a min. of 1000 watts sine wave output would begin to make it happen. so when record companies make CD's/DVD's they compress the hell out of the signal. (think of live in concert volume levels)... I am a pro sound sound tech too & have a surround sound sys in my house to die for. Total SINE WAVE output over 1000 watts full range 20 to 20k. You can hear it a for 1/2 mile away cranked up from inside my house :shock:

007bond-jb said:
a surround sound sys in my house to die for. Total SINE WAVE output over 1000 watts full range 20 to 20k. You can hear it a for 1/2 mile away cranked up from inside my house :shock:
Reggi, do you think you know how much he paid for this? :P

--John 8)

cflatt said:
Woodman said:

are you looking for one for your bass ???

Yes, I read that Chris Squire (Yes) got his sound by compressing the hell out of the signal. It is always a struggle for those of us who bought Rickenbackers to duplicate the sounds of the two great Rick masters , Macca, and Squire. I've got the Macca sound down by using TI Jazz Flat strings. The Squire sound is a different animal.

ScottyDaQ said:
A compressor is great for shaping the sound of any guitar....gives you tons of sustain, and makes pinch harmonics really scream.

It also fattens up drums, & saves speakers when some idiot drops a hot mike on the floor. I use a 4 channel Berhringer compressor on the church pa sys.

I use it on everything. I have the same kind as Greg, so I leave one for the drums/vocals, then the other for the guitars.

Another use for it....Hook it up to the TV so the Dish and Cable commercials aren't so loud. LOL

It never ceases to amaze me how much folks around here have in common. I worked in a 48 track studio in NYC in the early 80's for around 5 years as an asst. engeneer.. Now Im in the process of setting up my own studio. I have a Yamaha acoustic and a De Armond electric. The electric goes through a Pevey amp. I most recently scored a patchbay off e-bay and also have 2 Boss SE 50 Stereo effects processers. Everything goes through a Peavey 8 channel board. Im shoping around for something to record on. Not sure if I want to go computer or stand alone. Ive also got a drum kit in storage. So much stuff, so little room !

Pretty interesting how you start to find out things. Finding lotsa guys on the audio board that Q..now gotta get them over here. I've made my living in the business for the last 24 years.
Here was my large office

and here is my smaller office, about 2 years ago before I changed desks again

I'm the one on the right

Back
Top Bottom