New Myrtle Beach Q Joint...Smokestack Lightning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Here's some good news from Louis Osteen, owner of Louis's At Pawleys in Pawleys Island.

Smokestack Lightning - the barbecue restaurant that Osteen said will have barbecue from throughout the universe - will probably open sometime in August or September.

"We've got the design almost finished," said Osteen, who will own a small share in the business. "It's going to be at the old Bullwinkles [Family Food & Fun at 1002 N. 29th Ave. in Myrtle Beach]. It will have a full bar, and we will have entertainment from time to time."

Owners met last week for a meeting.

Osteen said the restaurant will seat 300 people and be friendly to singles, as well as families.

He said the words "House Of Barbecue For All People" will be written directly under the eatery's name.

And I'm not the one to gossip, but the talk around town is that even chefs are looking forward to the new place.

Osteen was named the 2004 American Express Best Chef in the Southeast by the James Beard Foundation, the creme de la creme of food competition.

Captain Morgan said:
Smokestack Lightning - the barbecue restaurant that Osteen said will have barbecue from throughout the universe - will probably open sometime in August or September.

It will have a full bar, and we will have entertainment from time to time."

When you get drunk and fall off the bar stool? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: [smilie=drink.gif]

I wonder what kind of $$$ he is planning on charging for a meal there? Broadway at the Beach aint cheep, and the way realestate costs in that area are it might be a little pricey for a BBQ dinner. I have eaten at several pretty good BBQ places all around there and you might have a problem filling seats in the winter months if the price is too much higher than the other BBQ establishments around there. MB becomes a ghost town from Oct. to Mar. but I'm sure you already know that. ;)

D.Harris said:
Have had his book in my hands at Barnes A Million several times and for some reason have spotted something else I thought I would like better. We're loaded with local cookbooks here which I'm sure you see in Myrtle Beach also. There are two brothers that have a book out that is supposed to be real good, can't recall their name, but it shows them on the cover on a porch of some antebellum home.

That would be the Lee brothers. ;)

yeah I'm interested in how this is going to work.
I think he's going more after the ribs and smoked
meats aspect as opposed to a true q joint.
That property he bought is big and EXPENSIVE, so it
can't be cheap q joint prices.

The decor and even the slogan he's using sounds
exactly like House of Blues in Barefoot landing, which
does smoke some entrees, but is expensive. I think
they make it more from the concert hall attached to
the restaurant.

Myrtle Beach restaurants are going more upscale now.
Ruth's Chris opens in the fall. Still, I think so many
people who visit here are thinking more Carolina
Q joint than upscale faux joint bbq dining.
Gonna be interesting. I've interviewed him
twice, he's a good guy..hope he makes it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom