New Cast Iron pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
I did get to try out the new 6qt CI pot. This thing rocks!

Jambalaya made with Richards sausage, chicken thighs, and left over burnt ribs.

Sausage done and the chicken on
img_176702_0_1fedd821657dda4e752dff5c52cb63f2.jpg

The trinity
img_176702_1_cbc65a299a3b35b07ec9465988c8309a.jpg

The browned meat
img_176702_2_ac018074d5e0bd7a615da2c56ea7481b.jpg

'Browning the trinity'
img_176702_3_f42f422f9920178fb7a27a17436d4d27.jpg

Looking good!
img_176702_4_50fd4a32b6d3f286a3f692e12507bc64.jpg

The 'boil'
img_176702_5_cc9f5738c432a132071210ae03f38bf4.jpg

The first fluff
img_176702_6_fd3f804f855f5d32f67da8cd96ae6d42.jpg

And plated
img_176702_7_e405233366536a2a51695b359ca3f052.jpg

This pot is perfect for a 4 cup rice recipe. Not like my 8 cup recipe to feed an army. 1.5lb sausage, 2lb chicken, 3/4 pound left over ribs, 1 cup onions, 1/2 cup bell pepper, 1/3 cup cellery, salt and pepper to taste and some garlic.

Only thing I find difficult to understand is, where did you get leftover ribs? I ain't never seen or heard of that. :D

Good looking jambalaya.

OK guys. Ease up on the left over thing. I like to practice and there ain't no way my wife and I can eat everything. We got left overs. So get over it.

The pot is a Bayou Classic 6qt with a round bottom like in the BIG jambalaya pots and works excellant on the stove top cause it has a flat spot to sit on. I can't and won't put my 16 or 50 qt on the stove top. There is NO reason to spend the money on a Lodge brand when this one(as well as my others) will work just fine.

You have to season them cause they don't come seasoned. Kinda like Emeril says "You got to season it cause it don't come seasoned!"

Coat with vegetable oil and cook at 400 for three hours and you are set.

ronbeaux50 said:
The pot is a Bayou Classic 6qt with a round bottom like in the BIG jambalaya pots and works excellant on the stove top cause it has a flat spot to sit on.

I was lookin at the picture and thinkin.......that can't be a 6Qt pot it has a round bottom. Then I read further. Where did you find that at??

P.S. any time you have leftovers just remember I don't live that far away :roll:

Ron like you we have alot of leftovers. I carry leftovers to work just about everyday and eat at my desk. Food looks really good.

that's a great piece of cast iron RB.. They cook perfect and stay nice and warm after you shut off the fire.. Congrats!!!.. They fry fish great too and it helps season them. Are you going to make any chili in it?

surfinsapo said:
that's a great piece of cast iron RB.. They cook perfect and stay nice and warm after you shut off the fire.. Congrats!!!.. They fry fish great too and it helps season them. Are you going to make any chili in it?

My mom gave me one with a burner for Christmas.

They are cool we aint used it yet.

SS one shouldn't cook acidic food in cast iron. It'll make taste funny

Looks deliscioso. Glad we got that Trinity thang straightend out deeper into the narrative...looked like there was equal amounts layed out there in the opening pics. Sorta skerred me and know Justeen was fixing to start spinning in his grave. I like one big onyawn..half a bell peppa and 1 stalk of celery..plust as much garlic as a person has the energy to smush. Hey Sapo..that JB Boy giving out some good advice on the reactive nature of cast iron. Know of zero serious chili cooks who use it. Aluminum treat a person the same way less it coated with Teflon or Anodized. I got a nice thick cheap one which Anodized outside and Teflon inside. Now if you want the inside and outside Anodized betta plan on outlaying mucho dinero. Aint quite figgered out that dielemma yet. As far as heat dispersal qualities aluminum make a person chunk rocks at cast iron. It has unique properties similar to copper.

bigwheel

BW. If they made a nice thick alumininimum pot with a round shaped bottom I would have hit the jackpot. I love the shape of the rounded bottom for stirring and turning while browning. My La Cruise Missle cast pots enamal coated are fine for chili, but I want one that has a rounded bottom.

Where can a man get one of those?????

Well glad you mentioned the La Cruset stuff cuz it dawned on me as a good exception to the anti cast iron scenario about the time I hit send on the other post. Now know it pricey..and can tend to be delicate if a person chip the enamel by dropping a metal spoon on it blah blah blah. I have seen some of their wares at Tuesday Morning but dont recall any round bottoms..but then I wasnt really looking for one either so I coulda not noticed. I will start trying to keep a lookout for such an item. I betcha if a person want one bad enough and price aint an object such a deal could be found.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom