Need your help...sauce ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
for the poker boys tonight I'm making fried green
tomatos and fried grits cakes....I need a gravy or a
sauce for the grits...ideas?

I don't want a tomato sauce or marinara...I'm
thinking more along the lines of a gravy or a
cream sauce, but I'd like to hear what you guys
think.

I'm thinking about that, although it might be a little
heavy. I make my tomatos with a little sugar, so
the profile will be slightly sweet and tart, just a little
acidic. Not sure a heavy sausage gravy would be a
good companion.
What about an alfredo or white cheese sauce?

How about a horseyradish sauce..equal parts mayo sour cream, some garlic and onion powder..little salt pepper and a splash of lemon juice..and some horseyradish

Use equal parts Reverend Marvins Hot, Mayo and sweet pickles for the tomatoes and country ham gravy for the grit cakes!

Larry Wolfe said:
Use equal parts Reverend Marvins Hot, Mayo and sweet pickles for the tomatoes and country ham gravy for the grit cakes!

lol, I was just googling through ham gravy recipes..I can tell
you was raised in NC

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":q6s7ny3p]Use equal parts Reverend Marvins Hot, Mayo and sweet pickles for the tomatoes and country ham gravy for the grit cakes!

lol, I was just googling through ham gravy recipes..I can tell
you was raised in NC
[/quote:q6s7ny3p]

Dat's right! :LOL:

Wished I could help but I from way too deep in S. Texas to be able to withstand a gag reflex from grits..and we of course do not eat no tomaters till they get ripe..then all of sudden you start talking about Eyetalian food. Your getting me very cornfused here. Speak up boy..it hard for me to hear with this big old calliflower ear :roll:

bigwheel

Sorry to get in too late. I like mayo/sour-cream horseradish sauces, but they don't heat well and are best served cold on the side.

For next time, consider a mustard/cream reduction.

Another possibility would have been a green chili puree/cream reduction -- a French informed "salsa de chili verde".

Tomato based sauces are great with grits, especially "arabiatta," but it might have been too much tomato on the plate.

A completely different take would have been a classic pesto: basil, parsley, pine nuts, good romano and parmesan cheese, and just enough olive oil to make it slide down easy. You can serve it hot, but you have to be careful heating it because the basil discolors so easily.

Another green sauce, very good with fried food generally, and complimentary to your two offerings would have been an Indian style mint chutney: pureed mint leaves, cilantro, onion, serrano chili and a little hibiscus powder -- awesome! Best served room temp, and on the side.

Perhaps the best choice would have been to put a bowl each of red, white, and green sauces on the table and let your guests go for it.

My experience is that the more choices you offer a poker party, and the more the food commands their attention, the better you'll do at cards.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom