Nashville report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
First night in Nashville... Because I cant read the time on a ticket, we missed the Opry tonight.. Oh well, heading out to the Capitol Grill for our official "anniversary dinner". Did the Loveless Cafe for lunch and it was very good.. I would certainly recommend the biscuits and the fried chicken. I'm not usually a fan if the white meat, but the breast was tender and juicy. Already hit Broadway once for a bunch of beers (and a few shots). Taylor Twit is playing in town tonight, so there are a ton of people around...Heading to the State fair in the am, then down to Lynchburg to tour the JD plant (hey Witt, what color label u like ?) and just sort of explore out of town.

Good times...

Capitol Grill was nice. Sort of an "experience".. when I made the reservation they asked if there was an occasion and I told them anniversary. When we got there, our table had rose petals on it and every server and busser at one point made it a point to stop by our table and offer congrats... the wife loved it... Got the "hunters plate" for an app. Had cured duck, really thin sliced country ham and summer sausage on it along with toast, pickled onions and home made jam, horseradish and kimce (sp) which was like pickled cabbage. Got the 16 oz ribeye which was actually cooked perfect ! I gotta say though, I think I would've preferred a sirloin. All in all it was a nice grown up evening. Went back down to Broadway and watched all the drunks stumble around... Heading out to find a diner for breakfast, then down to Lynchburg...report to follow..

Left this am and made it all the way down to Lynchburg without going on a thruway.. Found a festival and flea market and had a nice relaxing ride. Had lunch in a Lynchburg diner. Good cheap solid food. Jean had a burger that had blue cheese, sharp cheddar, pepperoni and bacon. She said the combo worked pretty good. She also had their "world famous onion rings" which I wasn't so impressed with.. I had the hamburger steak with two sides and gravy for $6.00. Nothing special, just good cheap diner food. We never made it to the distillery, but they did have a smoker made out of an old barrel there for $400. Its was pretty cool, but not a Weber.. I almost bought a barrel to bring home, but I couldn't justify the 100 dollor cost. And Dave, I had a bottle of green label in my hand until Jean asked if I looked at the price..Sorry buddy. I love you but Id rather spend that money on a second WSM...We also cruised by Tim's Ford which is a waterway with a campground resort where we hope to vacation in the future..

And then depression set in.. Neelys BBQ for diner.. We have come to the conclusion that we will no longer eat BBQ out any more. I had the sampler platter which had chicken, pork, beef, pork ribs and spare ribs. It came with two sides and I had pork and beans and slaw..So, from good to worst (there was no best).. All the meats were chopped. The chicken was good..tender and juicy with a nice texture and flavor..the beef was edible but not notable and the pork was mush, The pork ribs were ok, but compared to my ribs or Witts, which is all I really have to compare to, they were ok. Same with the beef ribs. The slaw was spicy and I didnt care for it, although my wife liked it. The beans were beans..nothing special.. Prob would not recommend to anyone. Spent the rest of the night on Broadway having a few adult pops and watching the freaks and the drunks. Starting our trek north in the am and have quite a few stops planned. In a perfect world we will be in Cleveland tomorrow night, then home Monday... Report to follow...

Smart thinking on the giving up store bought bbq. I did it quite a while back. Now I will still eat it if its free or something like that. Half price maybe. I can stand it like that if its edible at all.

And then depression set in... Back home.. will get some pics somewhere within the week once we get them sorted. Stopped at the Corvette Museum on the way home.. I'm not much of a car guy, but what a good time. Id suggest it if your in the area. Also hit Grandpas Cheese Barn in wonderful Ohio and Galuchis Italian store in our fatherland, Cleveland. Left over $200 there in exchange for a bunch of dried spices, some fav cheeses we cant get here and misc other delicacy's.

Oh, and we've already set a date in January to go back to Nashville.... This time we will fly to celebrate the wife's B-day !

And last night in Ohio, we ate at the Outback Steakhouse (the only place open near our hotel) and I can confidently say my $16 12 oz top sirloin was much tastier than that $45 rib eye I had Friday night !

More to follow..

Back
Top Bottom