My house flooded… this SUCKS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Que~Dawg

Senior Cook
Well last weekend we came home from a long weekend trip to find the water filter on the fridge had cracked and leaked water in the house. The damage consists of;
1100 sq. ft of hardwood flooring twisted and bowed with the finish flaking off
Base board trim swelled and bowed
The basement ceiling fell in
The carpet in the basement is know trash
TV, stereo, surround sound, wii, DVD, phone and cable box is water logged in the basement
The pool table felt is wet
Couch is wet
Cabinets may be bad
Anyone have any dealing with insurance adjusters and will they try to stiff me? Any advice????
[/b]

Man Q Dawg I hate that for you. I deal with insurance on a daily business in the car business and if it's one of the major insurance companies you shouldn't have a problem.

Well so sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a real bummer. We have had a couple of minor incidents where the drip pan on the indoor portion of the Central AC (located in the attic) got plugged and overflowed. Insurance folks always treated us super right. Surely and hopefully you will have the same expurience.

bigwheel

Q-D

Send me a PM with the name of your homeowner's carrier. If it is not a carrier I represent, I can give some tips. I've been an insurance company lawyer for 25+ years. I'm not licensed in your state but I can help with the basic stuff.

Griff

007bond-jb said:
Sorry to hear abot it, Whats a basement? :LOL:

JB: It's a big hole in the ground ya set yer house over, yall call yers a well er a swimmin hole! :LOL:

QD: sure sorry bout that, it sucks. Whenever we leave fer a length a time we shut that stuff off now. Don't like comin home ta surprises like that!

Hang in the Que~Dawg. Went thru a situation with insurance last winter due to an ice storm. Yeah I know....Ice Storm....in Kentucky? What can I say....weather in Kentucky :roll: Take Griff up on his offer, sounds like he can provide some useful help.

8)

QD, I don't think you will have a problem with the insurance company. It only is a problem if it's ground water from what I understand.

This is why I turn off the main water supply and unplug every thing in the house (not the refrigerator) when we go down to camp. Sorry to hear Que Dawg. Hope the pool table can be saved. ;)

Pigs

Dang well thats a fine welcome home!! Luckly we dont live that low to have flooding. I bet its a pain in the ass. I just hope you had flood insurance, but knowing the insurance companies they can either be right on the spot and get stuff done fast , or drag thier asses. Good luck Niki and I will keep yall in our prayers and thioughts that this can be swiftly resoloved.

did it for a living

Que~Dawg did it for a living call me ill walk u through it. water that came from inside the home should be no prob,just don't throw out the part that broke rick 607 242 2781

First, quit calling it a flood. That a special coverage that you may, or may not, have. This is damage from a broken appliance and it should be covered. The first thing is to check your policy to see if you have coverage for replacement value, or actual cash value. I don't think you'll have a problem with the carrier.

Griff said:
First, quit calling it a flood. That a special coverage that you may, or may not, have. This is damage from a broken appliance and it should be covered. The first thing is to check your policy to see if you have coverage for replacement value, or actual cash value. I don't think you'll have a problem with the carrier.

Ours is replacement value

Griff said:

Griff, please explain. And which is better to have?

Replacement value is better but the premiums are higher. They pay whatever it costs in today's dollars to replace the loss. With actual cash value, the insurance carrier will depreciate it. In a nut shell, replacement value will pay you the cost of a new like item. Actual cash value (ACV) insurance will pay you the cost of a like used item. Unfortunately, you can't get replacement value in an auto policy, only homeowners insurance will do that. BTW, Nick I need your address to send you the bill for this advice. :LOL: :LOL:

Sure you have a 3 hour minimum on deals like this. Hopefully this good advice only cost a few thousand.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom