My first stab at canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the info, Larry. I actually have bookmarked several websites with great canning info and use a pressure canner.

Larry, the first time I got kicked off NBBQNews was because I pointed out that a few members were using unsalve and rather strange canning practices. I'm glad you're on the job Larry. Keep up the good work.

Bill, the way "canning" works is that as you heat the filled jar, vapor and air expand and push their way past the cap which is (theoretically) held loosely on top of the jar by the ring. When you remove the jar from the bath and let it cool, the air contracts. Meanwhile the air pressure from the outside air pushes the cap down and seals it. After the lid self-seals, you tighten the ring. That's what "canning" is. It only works if the cap is on the jar when its being heated. Otherwise, it's just putting stuff in a clean jar. Pressure canning is the same, but more so.

Bottom line on pickled peppers.: With all that salt, sugar and vinegar you don't have much to worry about. But anything short of pickled food should be properly canned. And, as Larry said, if it's not high acid it should be pressure canned.

There's a $%*! load of information on canning on the web. If you're planning on storing food in the pantry for more than a week, follow the instructions.

"We been doing it this way for generations. I ain't never been sick, and neither has Granny." Getting away with doing it wrong doesn't make it right. A stomach-ache is a stupid thing to die from.

Rich

Thanks feeling a little mo betta every day. Try the Appetizers, Sides and Desserts section page 3. Keep your eye peeled for Sweet Southern Chow Chow. Great base recipe and just made for tweaking. I used half apple cider vinegar and half white vinegar. Course mine had to have a few Japs in in etc. Made a bunch of the stuff a year or two back. Got a lot of the produce at the .99 cent only store. They have multi colored bell peppas 4 for .99 where at the regular store sometimes they charge two bucks each. Japs is dirt cheap too.

bigwheel

bigwheel

bknox said:
Big Wheel, Hope you are feeling better. I have not thought of chow chow for some time. Do you have a good recipe?

We used to get it in Amish country in Penn. and eat it on everything from hot dogs to using it in tuna for sandwiches.

boar_d_laze said:
Larry, the first time I got kicked off NBBQNews was because I pointed out that a few members were using unsalve and rather strange canning practices.

Rich

I'm pretty sure that it had to do with some thing more than pointing out a bad practice. Maybe more to do with a certain couple of people not able to get along and they brought it out in the forum for all to see.

Just want to clear that up so people don't get the wrong idea that the NBBQNews forum doesn't like to have it's members corrected.

Or are we still bitter about the brisket fat rendering arguement?

Tim

boar_d_laze said:
Bill, the way "canning" works is that as you heat the filled jar, vapor and air expand and push their way past the cap which is (theoretically) held loosely on top of the jar by the ring. When you remove the jar from the bath and let it cool, the air contracts. Meanwhile the air pressure from the outside air pushes the cap down and seals it. After the lid self-seals, you tighten the ring. That's what "canning" is. It only works if the cap is on the jar when its being heated. Otherwise, it's just putting stuff in a clean jar. Pressure canning is the same, but more so.

Right. Except the part about tightening the ring - once the jar has cooled, and the lid has sealed, you can take the ring off. Air pressure maintains the seal, the ring is only needed during the canning process itself.

The heat of processing kills anything in the food that might make it spoil (bacteria, yeasts, etc.), and the sealed lid keeps any more of them from getting in. [smilie=a_wizard.gif] It only seems like magic.

You (supposedly) need the ring to prevent the cap from being dislodged mechanically and allowing the food to spoil, or from the food outgassing and blowing the top off.

I'm always happy to find out any hard and fast position I've staked out is wrong. It's part of the learning process. Besides, it's a great big universe and there are a lot right ways to skin Schrodinger's cat. The bigger it is, the more fun. That having been said, I've never seen any canning protocols suggesting the ring should be removed after canning, but if you can point me to one, I'd sure like to read it.

R

Thanks for pointing me to it. The same advice is also in the Ball canning tutorials on their website. They know as much about canning as anyone, and I definitely trust them. I did some more checking around and it seems like most advice, including the FDA guide, is the same.

Always happy to learn,
Rich

wdroller said:
Here's something for us to think about. I have a FoodSaver attachment which will vacuum attach a Ball lid to the jar. No need for a band. And, damn difficult to remove. In fact, I have to use a butter knife to pry it off, and I ain't no wimp. Do you think jars could be filled, processed, and stored without ever using bands? I don't know. Then again, why take a chance?
The seal itself does nothing to prevent the food from spoiling, other than keeping out any bacteria, yeasts, etc. after the food is sterilized. Since you have to heat the food, in the jar, hot enough to kill those critters, it would be very difficult to then put on a lid, and attach the FoodSaver gadget, without contaminating the contents. Then again, since the very process of sterilizing the food in the jars also causes the lids to seal, there's no need to add the FoodSaver into the equation.

wdroller said:
What you say makes sense.

Could you teach my (a) boss, and/or (b) wife to say that? :mrgreen:

(Even if they don't believe it, it would be nice to hear once in awhile. Or even, once.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom