My first comp is in the books...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6th place finish, first time out, yeah, I bet they want to start a team...you are high on the comp curve Cappy...watch out for the gravy train!! :!:

Congrats again Captain. You held up to the test of the first comp. Believe me I've seen em come and I've seen em go. The weather predictions would have scared most away. I'm glad the Margarita dance and a well said prayer to the BBQ gods kept the big storm south. With your kind of dedication, I'll look forward to hearing your name called many times in the future. It's a kick ain't it?

Good Q!

Jack

nshaw65 said:
Great Job Cappy. Are you going to share your secrets with us?

Not sure what my secrets were...

the things I give credit to the most were...

1. simplicity

2. understanding what the judges were looking for (thanks Jack)

3. lots of luck

4. this message board.

Captain Morgan said:
nshaw65 said:

Not sure what my secrets were...

the things I give credit to the most were...

1. simplicity

2. understanding what the judges were looking for (thanks Jack)

3. lots of luck

4. this message board.

Cappy, (5) give yourself some credit too!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":1i9sguxf]
nshaw65 said:
[/quote:1i9sguxf]

Not sure what my secrets were.

It was interesting. The captain was the only guy with the guts to go out and do his thing on a WSM. Last year at the same contest I met a guy who bought 3 Wal-Mart brand ECB's on the way there and cooked the contest. he was putting them together while we were setting up. He came in 3rd. I was watching the Reno Rib off today and noticed that that same guy won the contest. He was from VA. He was a great guy,and an awesome cook.

To reinforce...Its not the pit, It's the Pit Master. I use a WSM for KCBS chicken, and cooking around the backyard. I can't afford to fire up the big boys for a couple of racks of ribs or a butt or two. Great little cooker. I see them all the time in KCBS.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1onb1pxs][quote="Captain Morgan":1onb1pxs]
nshaw65 said:

It was interesting. The captain was the only guy with the guts to go out and do his thing on a WSM. Last year at the same contest I met a guy who bought 3 Wal-Mart brand ECB's on the way there and cooked the contest. he was putting them together while we were setting up. He came in 3rd. I was watching the Reno Rib off today and noticed that that same guy won the contest. He was from VA. He was a great guy,and an awesome cook.

To reinforce...Its not the pit, It's the Pit Master. I use a WSM for KCBS chicken, and cooking around the backyard. I can't afford to fire up the big boys for a couple of racks of ribs or a butt or two. Great little cooker. I see them all the time in KCBS.

Good Q!

Jack
[/quote:1onb1pxs][/quote:1onb1pxs]

AMEN!

Jack W. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3a3br5ht][quote="Captain Morgan":3a3br5ht]
nshaw65 said:

Good Q!

Jack
[/quote:3a3br5ht][/quote:3a3br5ht]

Now I know there is no hope for me!

By the way, I just posted the results in the events section....well I can just hit paste here too...

Mrytle Beach BBQ Judging Results 2005

Smoke on the Beach

(April)

Name # Score

Boggie's BBQ 928 46.41
J T 's BBQ 939 45.46
Firehouse 923 44.97
Fatback & Pork Heads 933 44.87
Dorchesters Shrine 921 43.95
Capt Morgan 936 43.47
Hog Tied 937 43.22
Original Hog Wild 944 43.17
R & R Cookers 929 42.48
Omar Volunteers 918 42.45
Wine Maker 931 42.36
Lazy J 935 42.06
Barr Farm 938 41.95
Home Boyz 917 41.46
Clyde's 916 41.40
Hillbillies 930 40.68
Swine Time 941 40.55
Outhouse 2 919 40.15
Deep Chatham 943 40.10
The Underhogs 922 39.77
Omar Belairs 924 39.43
Sweet Revenge 920 39.42
Confederate Cookers 942 39.40
Fatback & Pork Heads 934 39.37
Hillbilly Clan 82 925 39.30
Pork Pedalers 927 39.18
Master Smokers 945 37.72
Crazy Dutchman 932 36.97
Rocking Pig 940 35.97
Omar 500's 926 35.10
Grill Gone Wild 946 34.57

Best Booth - Pedalers
Best T-Shirt - Pedalers

Anything But Pork
1st - Confederate Cookers
2nd - Barr Farm

Captain Morgan said:
I achieved my goal of beating at least one team. In fact, I beat 25 of them. 6th place, nice ribbon, and a two days stay at the fabulous ocean front Sea Mist Resort in Myrtle Beach (where I live, by the way).

I'd like to thank the Academy. :D

Also I'd like to thank Jack W. who came by Friday night and gave me some excellent advice. No way I'm in the top 20 without that advice.

I'm rather shocked, and you will be too when I post the pics...there were some big rigs there, and lots of tables full of trophies.

The WSM has spoken. :D

Captain,

What advice did Jack W. give you??
:night:

First he gave me lots of encouragement....I was pretty inimidated.

He told me what the judges wanted to see, and how important appearance is in the score. He told me to make sure the judges could see bark and smoke ring on the meat. So instead of chopping, I pulled my best pieces and didn't chop.

He knows almost everyone on the circuit in this area, and told me about most of the other teams. Also, he's in the South Carolina bbq association, which supplied the judges for the event. He told me that the judges are becoming much much better at their job...they know what to look for now....so I didn't sauce, like some did...just a quick spray with my mop at the end.

He also made a point for me to make sure my meat is as hot as possible
at turn in....I did the best I could. Chopped cools quicker than pulled, so
maybe that helped too.

LOL.

I also did the famed Margharita keep the rain away dance. Looked at the moon and stars. Asked my buddy Henry to keep an eye out, especially for breakfast, which Henry does very well, and Cappy missed. Added levity where it needed to be. Cursed more than once, and I think I might have even scratched while my wife wasn't looking. All of these attributes are necessary when doing any kind of overnight cooking, and a must in any competition situation. :razz: :razz:

It really was Good Q!

Jack

Jack,
Were you ever a judge at a cookoff held at the Piggly Wiggly in Florence? It would have been a couple of years ago. We entered only because the store had started carrying our sauce and they asked us if we were interested. Talk about country come to city. There we were with our little offset Brinkman surrounded by about 40 of the big rigs. We didn't place in the top three. Never got the final results, and at this point don't want to know. But there was a judge from Charleston who came by and gave us some good advise. It's a long shot but was wondering if it might have been you.

Rev.Jr. said:
Jack,
Were you ever a judge at a cookoff held at the Piggly Wiggly in Florence? It would have been a couple of years ago. We entered only because the store had started carrying our sauce and they asked us if we were interested. Talk about country come to city. There we were with our little offset Brinkman surrounded by about 40 of the big rigs. We didn't place in the top three. Never got the final results, and at this point don't want to know. But there was a judge from Charleston who came by and gave us some good advise. It's a long shot but was wondering if it might have been you.

No Sir, that wasn't me. I know of the cook off but have never been there. I've found that the people in the BBQ circles are some of the nicest and "sharinest" people I've ever met. Stories and advice are most prevelent at these events. :)

Good Q!

Jack

oops, that one went right over my head!

"The sea was angry that day my friends...like an old man trying to
return soup at a deli."

Back
Top Bottom