My Best Video Work Ever: Talking Turkey for MonkeySee.com - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #1

My Best Video Work Ever: Talking Turkey for MonkeySee.com

Folks this is the best videos I have ever shot. I really did my homework for this shoot and prepared as best I knew how and it came out great...I think.

I truely believe I have a "chance" to make some cuts for next season's The Next Food TV Star

Check it out and do tell me what you think. Yes, Good and Bad. I gotta suck it up and get better. I can cope.

http://www.monkeysee.com/video/watch/3233

I'm excited at how these came out.
Woohooo!!!

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!
lol
I knew ya'll want me to just say that. hahahahaha

Gonna crack a POP and Celebrate!!!!
peace
Old 11-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Pork Butt

Hi Mike, it did look professional.

The boiling point of water is 212¬įF at sea level.

The only other thing I noticed is when you ad lib, you tend to go off on the occasional tangent. Latex gloves->food safety->other fun? Start with your thought and finish it, you tend to start on a good point and drift away from it before you finish.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

Thanks
Greg said the same thing.
That ad lib [crap] comes from being an ex lead singer for a rock band where joking is funny. I agree that I need to stay on topic and keep humor simple and such.

Talking for 2 minutes is harder than I thought but I see Food TV guys only talking in 30 second spots all cut together, plus they have added training.

Jotting notes and just trying guys. Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Pork Butt

You're right there, talking in front of the camera definitely isn't easy and from what I see you're well on your way. For the most part you're pretty easy going and it seems natural.

The last thing I was thinking about is when you're prepping and cutting meat, try and find a position that's natural and allows the audience to see you. I noticed in a couple of your videos that you're trying to cut your meat in awkward positions. Take a couple of minutes to change your shot so it allows you to cut like you would be when catering or slicing meats in the kitchen. When you were slicing that turkey, I seriously thought you might slice off your thumb. I'm sure you knew it too because you mentioned something about not wanting an accident when slicing.

Show how to do it, don't tell us how to do it and then show us another way.

Kudos to you though, you're a lot braver than I am.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

No offence Mike. Raw chicken bag on the table? Water, 212. Injecting, a few chop sticks from "chunk food Charlie" will plug holes by the injector when pumping, and then the thing will really pump up! Good luck on your quest.
Chris
AKA Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #6

Well, thanks guys for watching. Pig at no time is there a Raw chciken or turkey bag on any table in those videos. Not sure what you are seeing but I went back and looked. I also said I wasn't sure about the 220 for boiling water.

I wish I had the time in set up that you guys request for camer shots and angles but doing these you just don't. The cameras are set in one place and you really have to try and get these shots in 1 take which can lead to the small errors ya'll mention.

If I make it to Food TV I will have writers and chefs helping write the scripts, chefs helping prep the food, producers and camera men setting up the shots and as much time as I need to get things just right.

I'm NO food tv star as I have said but would love the opportunity to compete to be one. I still say these are the best clips I've shot so far to date.

I'm trying to gather my nerve and confidence together to shoot my audition clip which needs to be in by Monday

I could have shared these with just friends and they would have blown smoke up my tail and not given me real opinions. I knew you fella would not cut me any slack and it's why I chose to share them with ya'll.

Thanks for the tough love guys
peace
mike
<><
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Smoker

Another good job mike, good luck with the contest.
BONE HEADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Pork Butt

Hey Mike, I don't think anyone's out to offend, just to help your shots be the best they can. They look great so far, and the more you do 'em, the easier they'll get!

All you needed to do in the turkey shot was to slide your table out a couple of feet and slice the bird from behind, possibly on a cutting board. :P

One thing I do is use plastic cutting boards for raw meat so I can put them in the dishwasher afterwards. I use wooden boards for slicing cooked meat so they don't dull my knives.

Keep 'em coming, you're well on your way!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

I don't know about Food network Mike, Can you cook indoors? How many cuisine types can you cook? How many different styles or methods of cooking can you do consistantly? As far as BBQ you got that down.

Good Luck Bro...
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #10

Thanks guys.

JB the answer is I do all the cooking around my house and if you didn't know better would think I was an Italian Carolina boy as Pastas are a stong point of mine. I do know many inside recipes but would admit to being weak in Desserts, and maybe Pastries.

Cooking in and on the stove I can do.

Last years winner boy is riding around to Diners and Dives and eating. I'd like a show where the Competition BBQ was covered. To to events, show Teams and show how to cook the Competition Food as well as many Campsite Meals too.

I'm writing my audition clip now but have to admit being nervous about filming it. lol It needs to be in by next Tuesday.

Thanks again guys!
peace