MSG on Food Detective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Did anyone see the Food Detectvie episode on FN last night ?

If this guy is right then all that I have heard and read about the woes of msg may be over exagerated.

I have been eating it for years in my favorite steak seasoning but I have been trying to steer clear as much as possible.

According to this fellow, the whole issue started with one doctor complaining of a headache after eating chinese food.

It also on every Lays product on the market. & it aint listed on the bag? I wonder why.

MSG?

When I do eat something that contains it, I RUN to the John within 15 minutes!!!
And, I am NOT making that up.

It also makes my heart RACE within minutes and salt doesn't.

That's just me. Some people like it and it doesn't bother them
Me? I can't eat it.

As far as BBQ goes. If you start with good meat, use a rub with ALL natural ingredients and know how to smoke it, you DO NOT need a flavor enhancer, such as MSG!!!

Re: MSG?

kickassbbq said:
When I do eat something that contains it, I RUN to the John within 15 minutes!!!
And, I am NOT making that up.

It also makes my heart RACE within minutes and salt doesn't.

That's just me. Some people like it and it doesn't bother them
Me? I can't eat it.

As far as BBQ goes. If you start with good meat, use a rub with ALL natural ingredients and know how to smoke it, you DO NOT need a flavor enhancer, such as MSG!!!
ALL natural ingredients? MSG is a tree bark. :LOL:

Tree Bark?

Me and the guys want to know just exactly which tree bark MSG comes from.

Thanks.

MSG

Thanks 007. I got all that and read through it all.

I did not see in that article anything about the tree bark that produces MSG that Pigs On The Wing was a talkin' about.

But, I found it.

MSG comes from the MoooSoooGumby Tree found only in Southern Etheopia near a small lake called YoMama Lake.

In its natural form, and if taken in large quantities, it can cause unruly hair growth on farm animals such as Goats and Sheep.

I would try and stay away from that stuff.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang yall should have listened to some of Joe Ame's tutorials on MSG. It sorta mind boggling but scientifical tests prove that we come equipped with built in taste receptors for the stuff and should prob be ranked right up there with hot..sweet..bitter..salty etc. The Japs even have a name for the taste response but I forget the name of it it right now..Shuhimmi or similar. A billion chinamen eat it every day. It got to be good for ya. Joe always say if you taste a food and it taste good..but you can't figger out why...thats it. Found it to be highly true.

bigwheel

Umami. When people talk about the glutamates you get in monosodium
glutamate, that's the same stuff in Japanese seaweed reductions and
fish sauce, made from anchovies....which you'll also find in Woostershire
Sauce, which is one reason it's particularly delicious.

Back
Top Bottom