MSG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I thought I'd bump my post count up by 1 here also... :grin:

I remembered having read something recently about this, but could not remember where. I found the following info online:

"Food allergies usually are due to the food itself, not any additives. True allergies are caused by stimulation of the immune system; reactions to additives probably occur independent of the immune system and may be due to chemical intolerance. It is difficult to verify that food additives are causing symptoms because no specific tests exist for additives. In some people, monosodium glutamate (MSG) may cause sudden, severe headache, but it is not yet known whether it causes allergies. Sulfites, sometimes added as a preservative to salad bar foods, have been documented to cause asthmatic reactions, but not as a true allergen. "

http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/health/foodalrg.htm

Wittdogs B said:
I remembered having read something recently about this, but could not remember where. I found the following info online:

"Food allergies usually are due to the food itself, not any additives. True allergies are caused by stimulation of the immune system; reactions to additives probably occur independent of the immune system and may be due to chemical intolerance. It is difficult to verify that food additives are causing symptoms because no specific tests exist for additives. In some people, monosodium glutamate (MSG) may cause sudden, severe headache, but it is not yet known whether it causes allergies. Sulfites, sometimes added as a preservative to salad bar foods, have been documented to cause asthmatic reactions, but not as a true allergen. "
=D>

http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/health/foodalrg.htm

MSG???

I may not be allergic to MSG, but when I eat something that has it, my heart races like a stripped $$$ banchee!! If you have good meat, a good rub and know how to cook, you don't need no stinking MSG.
If you need something to flavor your meat cause you CAN'T cook, use some.
Smoke On!!!!!!
ed

MSG?

I agree. It is naturually occuring in certain foods. But, that is in MINUTE quantities. When you ADD it to food, that's when people have the reactions. A little of that naturally won't hurt anyone. Add it with a salt shaker and PRESTO!!!! running to the toilet with a racing heart and a sore#######.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell when I eaten something that has had MSG added to it. I get a hell of a headache & in about 20 minutes after having et said said substance.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive :eek:mm: but in this instance I'm glad the food nazis have put the hex on it.

Et, past tense of eat. It's a word, live with it :grin:

Et??

Dats A BBQ Man,
I love it when you talk dirty (et).
Hey, SpiceMan,
I have a little story for you about the last FA. Ever heard of a Hog On A Hog???????????
Whew, you ain't gittin' no pics of that. Only took one, need a new camera.
Smoke On!!!!!
ed

There's no evidence that there is any such thing as an 'MSG allergy' or anything of the kind. Numerous double-blind studies have failed to confirm MSG as being an agent for 'allergic reactions', headaches, and/or the other symptoms attributed to it yet it does seem that ingestion of lots of MSG in a sitting might cause temporary headaches in some people. Many people will shun Chinese restaurants that use MSG yet eat it all the time either in its specified form or in others--soy sauce, hydrolyzed soy protein, powdered mushrooms, Parmagiano cheese, autolyzed yeast, et al. These others function the same way.

MSG boosts or adds the savory 'fifth taste' to foods. This taste is known as umami. Whether or not it will do what you'd like it to depends largely on what you already have going on in your rubs and sauces.

MSG is effective in what it does but more is not better. Too much MSG, like too much salt, makes food taste worse. A pinch per cup of liquid--and I really mean a pinch--is plenty. Reduce the salt by a pinch or a bit more. For rubs, 1/4-1/2 t per c is usually plenty. If you're adding it to your sauce as well then use the lesser amount.

Excessive MSG reads differently to different people often: mushroom-y, cheesy, fishy or, horrors, a combination, are all taste 'symptoms' off excessive MSG. One can often tell when too much MSG is used or too much food in a meal contains MSG--and this isn't because of headaches or any physical sensation--it's because everything starts to feel like it has a very similar umami/mushroom-y taste. MSG kind of builds up, it seems; it's as if one's tastebuds blow out and then become less able to discern nuance of flavor(s).

Back
Top Bottom