moose and griz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I received a cooler of meat air freighted to me today from my newphew that lives up in Fairbanks. Thanks Mike. He just returned from his annual fall hunt. Among other things, it contained moose ribs, about four pounds of moose tenderloin, a moose backstrap roast, a moose sirloin roast, and a six pound grizzly rump roast. It seems the griz was trying to get into the camp hanging moose cache while bear season was open. Not a smart thing to do when everyone is well armed. I've eaten black bear before but never grizzly. It should be good because is covered with fat and comes from an Interior Alaska bear that doesn't git salmon.

I'm going to smoke the moose ribs this weekend and will report further. Not real sure yet how to cook the bear. The only other time I cooked bear was a black bear hindquarter my brother and his brother-in-laws cooked over a camp fire. It was a small bear hindquarter on a spit that that we cut chunks off of as it got done. It was another instance of a bear having the misfortune to encounter moose hunters. That night is one of fondest memories of my brother (he passed on 11 years ago). That night we were camped on the banks of the Yukon river. It was clear, about 20*, the northern lights were blazin' across the whole sky, we had two moose hanging, and we had a lot of whiskey.

Thanks Cliff. 41 years ago I made two good decisions. I married the woman who is still my wife, and I moved north. Never had any second thoughts about either decision.

Back
Top Bottom