Microwave Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
When Microwave units first came on the market, we were told to heat water in a container as a test. If the container got hot, or hotter, than the water, then it had bad properties and should not be used. It would have been deemed 'not microwave proof'.
I have some recent purchased Pyrex bowls that get hot as hell while the contents are just warm to somewhat hot. They look like clear glass.
So, what's the deal? Any ideas?

I have some coffee cups that do the same thing but continue to heat up coffee in the microwave with them. I also have some bowls that do the same thing but come out stinking of some kind of chemical. Needless to say I do not use them in the microwave. Pyrex should be fine except try not to set them on a cold counter as they may explode. I had this happen with a pyrex dish I was baking in but I am sure you would get the same result in a a microwave.

Warden say that fine glass ware you got aint microwaveable. She say it usually wrote on the glass if it ok or not. She has some that gets hot too but she uses them anyway cuz she likes em. Whut a deal huh?

bigwheel

Any heavy glass (not thin like a wine glass) is ok in a nuke BUT, NEW glass containers can superheat there content & can cause the contents to become dangerous & explode in your face when removed.

I read an article about this some time ago, The reason is new glass don't have any micro fine scratches (nucleation points) on there surface, After they are used & scrubbed a few times the micro scratches develop, They help the microwaves heat the content of the container.

Copied from that artical:

Microwaves
As we know, water is composed of individual molecules (each with two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom; H2O). The faster these molecules move around, the higher the temperature of the water. Now, these molecules have a magnetic charge, meaning that they are affected by electro-magnetic radiation (which, by the way, is not as nefarious as it sounds—the light you see with your eyes and the heat you feel on your skin are both forms of electro-magnetic radiation). Microwaves take advantage of this fact by shooting waves that cause water molecules to rapidly flip back and forth. This motion in turn heats your food.

Because microwaves allow so little energy to be lost to the outside environment (the way, for example a gas burner will heat up the room), they are extremely efficient at heating water. They're great for boiling water quickly without heating up the apartment. An electric kettle is also extremely efficient on this front.

But there's one thing to be aware of. It's called superheating, and it really is as cool as it sounds. Heat up water in a blemish-free container with minimal disturbance (like in the microwave, for example), and because of a lack of nucleation points, it's possible to heat it well beyond its boiling point without it ever boiling.

As soon as some turbulence is introduced—a little wobble from the turntable, for example—bubbles burst forth, sending hot water all over the inside of your microwave. This doesn't happen on the stovetop, since heating from the bottom of the pot creates lots of convection currents (the movement that occurs between relatively hot and cool regions of liquid or gas).

It's a lot like my wife, who will quietly suppress tiny annoyances until the slightest disturbance will send her into an all-out rage. In both cases, the results aren't pretty. It's best to avoid these violent outcomes by commenting on how nice your water's hair looks today or by sticking a wooden spoon in your wife before microwaving her.

The source:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how- ... tures.html

Thanks for the super heater info, but my concern is about the vessel make-up; the bowl/cup heating faster than the food, indicating heavy metals or some nasty to be leached out.
Over consumption of bad things can make you blurt out non nonsensical comments like Uncle Bubba. :roll:

Wow I did not know all this stuff. Swear it just like going to college to hang around here.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Wow I did not know all this stuff. Swear it just like going to college to hang around here.

bigwheel

What? To learn about a 'big blood vessel? :LOL:

Swear that blood vessel thang was total new on me. We call em Ghila Monsters and stuff like that.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom