Meatloaf - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #1

Meatloaf

So I'm reading about this stuff on other forums, and would like your opinion....it just seems to me that with the pan covering 75% of the meat, it wouldn't get that smokey.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Web Celeb

I've done it...used as small a pan as would fit the loaf...poked some wholes in the bottom and took it off the pan about an hour in to the cook! Turns out great!!!

Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
BBQ Central Pro

actually Captain, meatloaf seems to be a smoke magnet. Go light your first time around.

What I have done with meatloafs is put them on parchment paper, trimmed to fit, underneath my meatloafs and it works great.

For some reason, I even get smoke ring on the bottom of the meatloaf. They don't sit and stew in their own grease either. Give it a go, I think you'll like it.

Check out my meatloaf pics here if you like. Parchment was not trimmed to fit in these pics, that suggestion is a refinement from the cook. What happened with this cook was that when I lifted and tipped the meatloaf, grease ran off down a side wall, hit the coals and ignited. If the parchment is trimmed to fit you can more easily drain grease to the water pan when you lift and tip the meatloaf.

My family LOVES smoked meatloaf. I use lean ground meat, make it southwest by adding cumin, garlic, a little red pepper and salsa instead of milk and serve it with corn chips and burrito fixings (diced-sliced veggies), fresh salsa guacamole and sour cream. It's awesome.
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #4

Thanks Shawn, I'm probably gonna do it today, and will use my kettle instead of the wsm. I've gathered a bunch of tips and will do my usual experimenting.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #5

all rightey then....2 pounds of 80/20, 1 pound ground pork (not sausage), 2 beaten eggs, 1 small minced onion, 1 small can of FRIED ONIONS, a healthy dose of Cavenders.

That mixture is in the fridge while I pontificate. Any suggestions for additions?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #6

By now I hope you cooked and ate it! I do like Greg and put them in disposable pans with holes in the bottom and dump them out 1 hour into the cook. I LOVE smoked meat loaf!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
all rightey then....2 pounds of 80/20, 1 pound ground pork (not sausage), 2 beaten eggs, 1 small minced onion, 1 small can of FRIED ONIONS, a healthy dose of Cavenders.

That mixture is in the fridge while I pontificate. Any suggestions for additions?
well, just one though it is too late .... I like to use dry onion flakes instead of fresh .... fresh seems to make meatloaf crumbly but the dehydrated will help bind it together, although fresh has a bit better taste. Perhpas try the dry next time.

One more, mmmm, got pork in da mix .... coarse black pepper seems to love ground pork. Wish I could be there to try it out! Best of luck to ya.

Shawn
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #8

Well the fried onions helped....did 3 loaves about a pound each...but during the cook I got a phone call, and by the time I got back...
temps were up to 180. A lttle dry, but I did get a little smoke ring, and a decent flavor....I'll throw on a bigger chunk next time.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #9

Hey Capt. you might want to invest in a cordless phone Glad it turned out good for ya!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Hey Capt. you might want to invest in a cordless phone Glad it turned out good for ya!
LMAO! You can enter the Blue Room now..

Butt...Are you sure you want to??? :evillaugh:

Greg...