Meatloaf - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
all rightey then....2 pounds of 80/20, 1 pound ground pork (not sausage), 2 beaten eggs, 1 small minced onion, 1 small can of FRIED ONIONS, a healthy dose of Cavenders.

That mixture is in the fridge while I pontificate. Any suggestions for additions?
Obviously this is waaay too late for your first round. So, if you want to experiment more, here's my current favorite.

I like to form my loaf in the pan (I know, I know, sounds like a personal problem...) but before doing so I line the pan with bacon running perpendicular to the length of the pan. So, you'll have bacon hanging over each side of the pan. It'll take near a half pound.

After the pan is lined with bacon just gently pack (we don't want to smash it in, think of placing it in then gently, very gently, pushing it into place to prevent air pockets) your favorite loaf mixture in. Those loose ends of bacon now are brought over the top so that the entire length of the loaf in encased in bacon. All Emeril jokes aside, what's not better when encased in bacon? Place in frige for a few hours or more.

Remove from frige and set a plate on top of the loaf pan. Invert. Remove pan. You have a free standing bacon-encased loaf just begging to be qued. I like place the loaf directly on a pre-heated grate with high indirect heat to render the bacon a little crisp. Then, as the coals fade, the rest is cooked through slowly. Add your favorite wood, but it does take smoke fast this way. I never use more than one chunk. I think I cook to 145 F or so.

About 15-20 minutes before removing from grill/pit you can hit it with BBQ sauces or any number of simple ketchup concoctions. I like one that Alton Brown used in his TV show. You can find it at foodtv.com if you're interested. I advise a sweet(er) sauce here.

LowRent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #12

Thanks guys, I'm certainly going to do it again...it was good, just too try for my tastes. I might try the bacon idea.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Bob, does that bacon go all the way down in thos peppers ? I like the idea of a whole pepper so the fillings dont come out as things get warm...
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #14
Web Celeb

smoked salt??? :biggrin:
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #15

Yeah I've heard of it, but never had the desire to try it. Apparently easy to do.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
Web Celeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Yeah I've heard of it, but never had the desire to try it. Apparently easy to do.
What's next...liquid smoke??? :biggrin:
Old 03-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #17

I think they use it in their rubs...I guess it'd be a good thing if you were cooking inside in the wintertime and wanted some smoke flavor. I'm not a big salt fan, so I've never tried it.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #18

Rachlien descibes it in his book.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #19
BBQ Central College

Hey Cappie,

Want see my loaf!
Go to the board that Susan was banned from, and have a look at the smoke day title, and look for "Smoken on the north shore of lake Ontario"
I just thow a little foil, with some holes and a way you go
I love Meat loaf Sammies :biggrin:
Cheers =P~