Mayhaw Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I picked up some mayhaw wood while I was in Texas. The tree is native to Louisiana. It grows wild in the swamp land but is gaining popularity as a graphted orchard tree grown all over the south.

The berry looks line a small plum and is seedless. It makes some of the best jelly in the world.

I am hoping that it makes some good smoke wood. The wood is deep orange when first cut. I don't know what to compare it to just yet.

Hmmm new one on me. Never heard of the stuff. If it make good jelly should make some wine that knock off a person's knickers too. Jelly and wine is purty close kinfolks ya know? Keeps us posted on the cooking qualities. Nearly bet it be excellent.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Hmmm new one on me. Never heard of the stuff. If it make good jelly should make some wine that knock off a person's knickers too. Jelly and wine is purty close kinfolks ya know? Keeps us posted on the cooking qualities. Nearly bet it be excellent.

bigwheel

I hear tale that it do make good wine.

BW when April rolls around take a drive south to any roadside stand and you should be able to find some jelly.

Ok will try to put that on the agenda. Heck they got a store up here that got about every kinda jelly which ever been made. May check around there afore I start headed South. Thanks for the heads up on it.

bigwheel

Mayhaw wood should bee fine for smoking just like any fruit wood. Mayhaws usally grows wild in the swamp or very moist soil, The jelly is a yellow orange cooler

Hey Sis..been a Texas native since the Red Sea was still only Pink. Did have one short stint in Okiehoma back in the early 70's but there was way too many Okies up there for me...so I come home quick. Now must confess I havent spent too much time in the swamps of SE Texas...maybe that why I aint heard of that tree. How long you been in Jasper? You ever run into my old cajun pal named Charlie Pousson? Think he hang the hat over in Nederland. Or did back in the good old days.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom