Louisville & Knoxville BBQ joints?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Do you know any good Louisville KY and/or Knoxville TN BBQ joints?

Being considered the "expert" among my non-Q acquaintances, I get occasional barbecue questions. Yesterday I was asked to name the best places to get barbecue in or near those two cities. I don't know either city. I got a few ideas from Roadfood.com, Chowhound, Holly Eats, and bbqjoints.com.

I'm counting on you KY and TN guys -- your suggestions will save my reputation. :D

--John
(The guy who asked grew up in Reidsville NC, so he'll recognize good bbq when he tastes it.)

A little south of louisville in Shelbyville is a small place called Ken-Tex BBQ, been eatin' there for years and it real good. Just below Knoxville is Sweetwater off I-75, Bradleys BBQ is awesome and has a really good sauce.

I have been to Statens. Eh. I was ready for some good eats and it was not good. Even the sides were bad. The PP was awful.
Bootleg BBQ is good. Another good place is called Jucys.
I have been to Ken Tex and thought it was pretty good too.

Unity said:
Do you know any good Louisville KY and/or Knoxville TN BBQ joints?

Being considered the "expert" among my non-Q acquaintances, I get occasional barbecue questions. Yesterday I was asked to name the best places to get barbecue in or near those two cities. I don't know either city. I got a few ideas from Roadfood.com, Chowhound, Holly Eats, and bbqjoints.com.

I'm counting on you KY and TN guys -- your suggestions will save my reputation. :

Staten's in Prospect, Ky was good about 5 years ago but he sold out then and it has not been the same.
Ken-Tex BBQ in Shelbyville,Ky is really good and Juicy's in Crestwood,Ky is good too.

I have alot of family in Louisville.
I believe the phone co. has made it up the hill.
I'll get back with ya'. ;)

If you look in the phone book, it is spelled Jucys. I dont know why, but it is.

You are right about Vince Staten selling out though. I dont know how much $ he got but he should have kept his name.

Another good place is called Pig City BBQ that is in Middletown. I ate there once and thought it was real good. They cook on 2 big pellet cookers in the back.

DaleP said:
If you look in the phone book, it is spelled Jucys. I dont know why, but it is.-- Yea' I forgot they spelled it that way.

You are right about Vince Staten selling out though. I dont know how much $ he got but he should have kept his name.

Another good place is called Pig City BBQ that is in Middletown. I ate there once and thought it was real good. They cook on 2 big pellet cookers in the back.

This is the first I've heard of Pig City BBQ... I may have to try it out next time I'm down that way.

I was refraining from posting in hopes that someone could recommend a place I hadn't heard of.

I can say that Jucy's is about the best around here... ask them to leave the bark on the brisket. If you need directions to Jucy's tell me what highway you are coming through on and I will give you directions as it is about 2 miles from house. Moonlite is excellent so I am told, but its about an hour from where I live and my backyard is closer. :LOL:

Pig City has good sauce and a nice assortment of crock pots best I can tell. They say the brisket is smoked for 24 hours... not! No smoke ring... no smoke flavor... not a hint of rub. It is sad bbq but tasty pot roast. My wife had the pulled pork sammich and I asked her how it was... she just shook her head. If you want BBQ I would skip it.

Off Hurstbourne lane there is a Smokey Bones and Famous Dave's if you like that kind of Q. If it were me and I was coming through Louisville looking for Q I would stop in Tennessee and eat at Calhoun's and hold on till I got back home. :(

I live about 6 miles from Jucys BBQ. The brisket is pretty good, but not as good as mine. lol.

Qjuju, we are neighbors! I live in Oldham County.

Stop by Jeffersonville this weekend, just follow your nose.

DaleP said:
I live about 6 miles from Jucys BBQ. The brisket is pretty good, but not as good as mine. lol.

Qjuju, we are neighbors! I live in Oldham County.

Stop by Jeffersonville this weekend, just follow your nose.

I agree... it isn't as good as mine either, but it is a bunch quicker and easier. :)

The wife and I thought that Jeffersonville sounded like a lot of fun... what would be the best time on Saturday? Looking forward to meeting you.

I am not sure what time the awards are, but that is my favorite time. 4pm probably. Early Saturday until 2;30 pm is really a busy time for us and nobody will have time to chat. For folks who want to chat, Friday nights are the best.

Back
Top Bottom