Lost A BBQ Bud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef

John M. "Jack" McCollister
McCOLLISTER-John "Jack' M. Entered into rest April 2, 2007 of Akron,
NY.Family will receive friends on Thursday from 2-4 and 7-9
PM and Friday 5-9 PM in the CHILDS FUNERAL HOME, 10 Eckerson Ave., Akron. A
celebration of his life will be held Saturday at 4:00 PM in the Free
Methodist Church, 6 Scotland Rd., Akron. Jack was the former Owner of the
Park Super Store in Akron and also known by many for his Pig Roasts.
Expressions of sympathy may be made to the NYS Veterans Home, Batavia.
Published in the Buffalo News on 4/4/2007.
Jack was a hell of a guy. Did many a whole hog with him.

Sorry to hear -my deepest condolences

I guess God is making his own Pit crew and needed some great people.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Pigs; looks like a guy you wouldn't mind sharing a beer with and a couple stories.

Jack was a hell of a great butcher and a hog cook. He always had room for my hogs and sides in his walk in cooler and would help me in any way he could. When he had his ma & pa store he was the butcher cutting up sides of beef and whole hogs. He told me a long time ago " those hack and pack places will never replace a good home town butcher" He taught Valerie (my wife) how to butcher and helped me hone my skills from butchering on the farm. A great man indeed and I sure will miss him. I'll never forget the time I dropped my boning knife on the floor and broke the tip off of it. He smiled and said " looks like it's going to be a long day for you boy " He took pity on me after a hour or so and taught me how to reshape and sharpen a knife the old school way. You can't learn that from a book! He shared many a story about the 40's and early 50's when he worked as a butcher in one of the slaughter houses in Buffalo. The best advice he ever gave me when I started in the BBQ game was " Always smile no mater what happens at a job, always give the customer a fair price, and no matter what, give them the best service and product you can. " Those words are been written in stone in my mind forever! I sure will miss him.

Dang!... not to make light of the matter at hand...but I want my obit. to mention the fact people liked all the roasted pigs I have have done!

That's the first obit I ever read that mentioned BBQ in it!

sorry for your loss....a prayer is said.

Back
Top Bottom