Looking for a really good Slicing/Carving Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I've been using a chef's knife for years and it works well. However, it's difficult to produce thin slices with the chef's knife.
Recommendations of a really good slicing/carving knife would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd agree with the everyone else but oddly enough I use a Miracle Blade slicer all the time. That chef Tony wasn't F'ing around, I use these knives all the time. In hindsight I'd buy the miracle blades again, even though my stand by is a forshner.

I've been a meat cutter for more than 30 years and I have always used Forschner knives. I use hem at home and in my profession. I recently found these new knives called Shun (http://www.kershawknives.com) and they are incredible (expensive) but they are like razors.

Mighty purty knives. I am a big Forschner Fan myself. For serious super thin slicing not sure you could beat an electric slicer. Whut would discourage a person from going that route?

bigwheel

I was going to suggest the 12" Forschner that Larry did. I'd listen to TimBear though.

BTW, I also have a set of Miracle Blades from years ago and use them a lot still. I buy new knives to try and end up going back to the Miracle Blades most of the time. I don't think I use the correct knife though. I don't have a 10" steak knife or a pork knife. They look like they could do some business!

If you want a nice "knoife" that won't break your budget... Dexter-Russel. Keep it honed and it's fine. I have the 14 inch duo-edge slicer and it does the job nicely and has for years.
3rd down from the top....

img_223011_0_3309bf37d09147a67db291442aa510ce.jpg

Got any restaurant supply places around you? They should be there.

I had a big curved Scimatar from Russell Dexter and that was absoloutely the sorriest piece o sheet knife I have ever owned in my life. Had intended to use it for slicing cooked spares. One rack give a person a serious coporal tunnell syndrome. I finally give it away free to some other poor dummy. Forschner only knife I would ever even consider buying.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
I had a big curved Scimatar from Russell Dexter and that was absoloutely the sorriest piece o sheet knife I have ever owned in my life. Had intended to use it for slicing cooked spares. One rack give a person a serious coporal tunnell syndrome. I finally give it away free to some other poor dummy. Forschner only knife I would ever even consider buying.

bigwheel

Woulda helped if you used the sharp edge to slice instead of the top. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Hmmm..I wondered why I always getting perpendicular cuts in the palm of my weak hand. Dang you just a smarty pants to figger out the problemo on that deal. Of course you have also explained the age old mystery of why donkeys don't go to school.

bigwheel

The best advise I can give is to keep your knives sharp and remember that the stone is for sharpeneing and the steel is for putting the edge back on (not for sharpening). A knife is a personal piece of equipment and should always be sharpened by the same person and steeled by the same person every time. If not the knife (knives) will never ever stay sharp. Everyone has a different angle in which they cut and in whic they sharpen, so you should have your own knives for yourself!

Back
Top Bottom