Limoncello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helen_Paradise

Head Chef
It’s limoncello season here! Sapo’s post on excess lemons a while ago got me going back to an article ran in the Santa Barbara Newspress. There’s a local limoncello company, Ventura Limoncello Co. http://www.venturalimoncello.com/downlo ... -11-08.pdf
My only problem was finding 190 proof Everclear here in CA. I finally got 4 bottles and got to work peeling/zesting the lemons while listening to football games. I made a batch of limoncello following the recipe posted on TVWB. It’s the easiest recipe to follow, yielding 8 – 375mL bottles (which I ended up ordering from a company). I then made a lime version, which is very nice! I’m working on my second round of lemon now.

I can vouch the first batch of lemoncillo was good, however I do believe it was my idea for the limoncello and for some reason I don't have a bottle waiting on my porch?? :cry:

Bet that stuff is mighty tasty. I would have sure hated to have to pick it up the tab on the 4 bottles of Ever Clear. They mighty proud of that stuff last time I bought a 1/2 pint back in the old high screwl days. Now denatured alochol should work cuz all it is is Ever Clear with Pizzen in it so folks wont drink it. We just got to figger out some way to get rid of the pizzen. Are there any chemists in the audience?

bigwheel

I happened to see Everclear at a 7-11 last night.

It was on Westwood Bl in Westwood (Los Angeles)

You might be close to that.

Dang..what a town ya got there. Here in God's Country you got to drive all the way over to whut is called a "likkor store" to buy stuff like that. Hopefully Osama get that changed so we only have to drive to 7-11 to buy whiskey. I like the concept. Naw I think me and you live in different places.

bigwheel

You can't buy 190 in CA. They do carry 150 though. I found by total accident that our local military base sells the 190 for 11 bucks.

This is the recipe I have been using for about 10 years. I used limes but it came out on the bitter side. I also used oranges and it came out pretty good.

Limoncello

18 to 20 large lemons
2-750 ml bottles of 100 proof vodka
4 cups of sugar
5 cups of water

Instructions

To begin with you will need a large glass jar, at least a gallon jar.
Choose large thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest. Wash the lemons and pat them dry. Use a vegetable peeler or micro-plane to zest the lemons, careful not to go to deep into the white pith which is very bitter. Add 1 bottle of vodka to the gallon jar and add the lemon zest to the vodka. After combining all of the lemon zest with the vodka, cover the jar and store it at room temperature in a dark place. Let it set for 40 days, do not stir.
The Vodka will take on the color of the lemon zest.

After 40 days, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar. Let it cool to room temperature. Now add the water and sugar mixture to the jar along with the 2nd bottle of vodka. Cover and return to the dark place for another 40 days. After this 40 day period you can strain the limoncello into bottles and discard the lemon zest. You can store the bottles in a cupboard but always keep one bottle in the freezer for when you have guest.
If you do not use 100-proof vodka, the limoncello will ice up in the freezer. I strained mine through cheesecloth and it came out crystal clear

Recipe with Everclear that I followed:

1 L of Everclear
16-20 lemons
2.5 pounds sugar
6 cups water

Following instructions as BB posted (I left in jar for 3 weeks, strained, made syrup, combined, and bottled). I noticed the peels are like white chips in about 1.5-2 weeks with the Everclear - meaning, to me, it's done. I left the lime for one week. Def going to try your recipe with vodka!

I got a buzz just reading and looking at your post. Like JB said we have drive thrus and can get liquor at supermarkets, Walmart, Sams and drug stores.

007bond-jb said:
Hell we got drive through liquer stores & daquiri joints down here :shock:

We pass by a drive through liquor store in Vidalia, La. on the way to the Mother-in-laws......have to stock up for while I'm there!!

Well we have the Watauga Beer Barn. It drive through but just for beer and maybe wine. Its handy just to drove through..but it quite a bit higher than to stop at the local red dot cstore and buy it yourself. Now things is looking up around my house cuz my area went wet for beer and wine. I can now snag it at Kroger instead of the Cstore across the street (its wet over there cuz it a different town called Haltom City) for about the same drive time. Since I been on a diet I have been drinking Natural Lite...Kroger already got it 3 bucks a case cheaper than the little store. Good things is already started to happen since Osama got elected.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom