LARRY RUINED IT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
I was keeping this a secret until I got the pit home and detailed pics could have been taken. Well Larry's mouth matches his head, big. :LOL: Just kidding Larry.
Larry is actually the one who leaned me towards the Spicewine. I was dead set on a Klose or Gator. Around New Years Larry and I discussed the pros and cons of each and the pros for a spicewine outweighed the cons. I'd love to own a Klose or a Gator but for now, this is all I need.

The cooking area comes standard with 4 racks. I requested to have another rack for the extra space. As you can see if I plan to do butts or briskets or something I will have to remove 1 of the racks to make head space otherwise if you want a whole mess of ribs, well I got 5 racks for ya!

The cooking racks are removeable for easy cleaning. The grate even comes out for easy cleaning as well.

The water pan is located directly below the last rack. Fill her up with 8 gallons of water and then fahgeddaboutit!!
The firebox has it's own lower door with 2 dampers. Ash pan for easy removal of the ashes. Jay mentioned something along the lines of if you run out of coals and are runnin it cold, the upper box will still hold it's heat for a short period of time. No extreme drops in temps!

Bottom dampers

Here is the storage box.....you can put a lot of crap in there!
There are also 2 storage boxes along the sides. They are still ziptied from the trip home and I have not cut them off yet, so no pics on that. Water pan drain valve located in the storage area.

Some of Jay's special touches plus the top smoke stacks which are adjustable.

I can't say enough how pleased I am with this smoker. I'll be firing her up tonight for her maiden cook. I've got 5 slabs of ribs, 2 pork shoulders and a couple of fatty's........think I'll have room??

If anyone is interested in more detailed pics just ask. I know in the past I've wanted to see different parts of the smoker but the pics weren't there. Also, the pictures do not do this smoker justice. It is truly a work of art!

Finally Jay mentioned that this size smoker has cooked 24 pork shoulders and 4 briskets at once (if I'm not mistaking)

Also I forgot to mention. This thing will fire up with 2 chimneys of charcoal. That will last 4 hours without having to refuel. The minion method is not suggested for this type of smoker.

Heres the side storage box.......it does run all the way through the back. What would you put in there without having to reach all the way back to get it?? This storage is on both sides;

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Wow that sure is a beautiful set up! Got a coat of car wax on it yet? 8)

Jay had it waxed and ready to go for me. The paint color is Chevrolet's Victory Red.

Unless you are putting out major volume, you don't need an offset. Nice looking cooker there Steer!

SteerCrazy said:
Heres the side storage box.......it does run all the way through the back. What would you put in there without having to reach all the way back to get it?? This storage is on both sides;

Poles for your canopy? Ummm legs for some sort of unassembled table? ummmmm fishing poles for the creek right along side the competition grounds?

but anyways.......HOLEY SHNIKIES!!!!!!!!! what a beautiful cooker!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! pit envy strikes again!

I saw that over at the Brethren site. Congratulations!!! Great looking cooker. That will be all you ever need. Jay makes a fine cooking machine. Dustaway's pit has been turning heads everywhere he goes with his.

Woodman said:
Unless you are putting out major volume, you don't need an offset. Nice looking cooker there Steer!

Thanks Woody :D

Captain Morgan said:
Can I have your old smoker?
sorry Cappy, I'll still be firin up the WSM for smaller cooks. I couldn't believe the space this thing has!

I put to 5+lb butts on the rack and it was like a little nothing on them. The space :shock:

Here's the initial fire. I had to get a 2nd chimney to fire up

I have 2 butts, 5 slabs of spares + maybe 1 or 2 more I'm gonna pick up tomorrow and 2 fatties I'll be smokin, so I chose pecan and cherry wood. decent amount of both

I guess the last pics speak for themselves.......I'll post finished pics tomorrow. I'm battling low temps right now. Jay said most guys deal with it to start, i've got 2 more chimneys to throw in before I hit the hay. Didn't want to overheat the thing!

Mango said:
Woooooooooooooooooow, That is all I really know how to say at this moment. Pretty much all my mouth could muster. Jaw dropped with the woooooooo then when it bounced off the desk it finished with oooooow

Can I be your neighbor?

yes but you must bring those mango trees with you. will they fare well in Kansas?? 8)

brian j said:
Puff said:
That is one fine looking rig! Congrats :D
ditto. what are you planning to do with it, comps? catering? both?

Thanks guys.....I plan to do comps and I've been nominated the neighborhood Q'er. We have neighborhood parties about 3x a year and the guys usually roll out their gassers and cook the same 'ol burgers and dogs. Now we're havin ribs and butts and chicken.

Back
Top Bottom