Large Quantity of Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Besides a rice cooker, how can large quantity of rice be cooked outside? I will have to use a propane burner.

Be super careful not to scortch the bottom of the pan on using the propane burner. Rice will burn fast!

My Bro In Law is a caterer & after they bring the rice to the second boil then cut the heat down very very low, Place a wind sheild around pot to prevent the burner from blowing out & turn the burner off before the rice is finished ( the steam & heavy cast iron pot finishes the cooking ) You do have to know your pot & ajust for weather conditions

Bill,

I like the jambalaya idea, and would definitely roll with that if I could. But if you've got to straight rice ...

The techniques are largely the same as cooking for home consumption. Give the rice a chance to soak for a bit before cooking and rinse it well to remove excess starch. Add salt and fat to the cooking water. Bring the water to a boil before covering. In the case of large quantities, that means using hot water. If you only have one pot -- start with boiling water. Let the rice boil for a minute or so before reducing the heat to a bare simmer and covering. As soon as the rice is covered, reduce the heat slightly more. Simmer white rice for no more than fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat, leave the rice covered, and allow it ten to fifteen minutes (depending on the kind of rice) to finish cooking. There's a tremendous amount of residual heat in the rice. The off the heat period is the right time to add (frozen) peas or herbs.

The proportion of water to rice chanes, and rice recipes DO NOT translate by multiplying. The majority of American white rices start at 2 cups of water per cup of rice and work up to 1 : 1. Most grower/packager/manufacturers provide information on the back of the package. But if not, you should call the packager or check the net. There are no general rules for rice, almost every type is different.

Sauteeing rice before boiling gets some separation on the grains, and is the best way to introduce aromatics like onion and garlic but if you only have one fire that's not happening. If you have two fires, you can saute the rinsed rice in batches. It's not important that the rice be hot when it goes in the water. Just that each grain evenly coated with oil and been cooked to slightly opaque.

Just some general information.

boar_d_laze said:
Bill,

I like the jambalaya idea, and would definitely roll with that if I could. But if you've got to straight rice ...

The techniques are largely the same as cooking for home consumption. Give the rice a chance to soak for a bit before cooking and rinse it well to remove excess starch. Add salt and fat to the cooking water. Bring the water to a boil before covering. In the case of large quantities, that means using hot water. If you only have one pot -- start with boiling water. Let the rice boil for a minute or so before reducing the heat to a bare simmer and covering. As soon as the rice is covered, reduce the heat slightly more. Simmer white rice for no more than fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat, leave the rice covered, and allow it ten to fifteen minutes (depending on the kind of rice) to finish cooking. There's a tremendous amount of residual heat in the rice. The off the heat period is the right time to add (frozen) peas or herbs.

The proportion of water to rice chanes, and rice recipes DO NOT translate by multiplying. The majority of American white rices start at 2 cups of water per cup of rice and work up to 1 : 1. Most grower/packager/manufacturers provide information on the back of the package. But if not, you should call the packager or check the net. There are no general rules for rice, almost every type is different.

Sauteeing rice before boiling gets some separation on the grains, and is the best way to introduce aromatics like onion and garlic but if you only have one fire that's not happening. If you have two fires, you can saute the rinsed rice in batches. It's not important that the rice be hot when it goes in the water. Just that each grain evenly coated with oil and been cooked to slightly opaque.

Just some general information.

All Minute Rice instructions are the same! Why bother with all the other fuss! :shock:

Rich is correct on all his advice & You should definetly add some fat to the water to help prevent it from sticking to the pot as bad.
& never cook a high acid food in an iron pot...

careful Bill, before you know it you'll be picking up another
jacket from Chiles!

Made dirty rice the other day, and I'll testify heartily to giving the
uncooked rice a quick sautee in butter....every grain was seperate
yet fluffy...good technique.

I've never made a rice dish in my 20 gallon kettle...I'm concerned that
the weight of the rice would mush and crush the bottom third...but I know
it's done, especially in JB land with jambalaya...we have a dish here called chicken bog, and I'd like to make a bunch...are there any tips
to not getting the rice to get to mushy in large quantities?

Tricks? Yes.

After cooking the rice, which includes the resting period in the pot. Dump it out into a large pan and thoroughly fluff it with forks. This unsticks the rice, and helps evaporate any unabsorbed moisture. Cover the pans with foil, walk away, come back in five minutes, and fluff again before serving.

If you possibly can, let the rice cool down for a bit, then reheat, covered, in the pan, in a medium-hot cooker (325ish) or oven for about twenty minutes. Remove the cover and fluff again.

Short answer -- fluff.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom