Lack of Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Whilst talkin' with a local old timer today, he expressed severe concerns for this coming spring and summer/year if we don't quickly get some hard WINTER around here.

I know we all joke and jest and complain about lotsa snow, no snow, warm, freezing etc... when it comes to winters.... BUT

His concerns are that areas that are accustomed to harsh winters such as New England area where I am....areas like these that DON'T get the long period of freeze and frost in the ground are HIGHLY prone to lot's of disease the following spring and summer. That winter in these areas has become part of the cycle of things and it's part of the design of things to KILL off certain spores, funguses, insects and diseases....etc...

It all makes sense in a logical perspective. I am going now to see what GOOGLE and JEEVES have to say about it all.

If anyone has their own ideas on this...please let me know.

The Old timer might be right...but then again we get an average amount of percipitation a year...seems like where I live we had a very rainy spring summer and fall....

It's only December.. we got 3 more months of winter.. i'm sure we'll have the obligatory, school closing, transit system a wreck, headline making, snow storms, before long :idea:

Bobberqer said:
It's only December.. we got 3 more months of winter.. i'm sure we'll have the obligatory, school closing, transit system a wreck, headline making, snow storms, before long :idea:

2 months !!!!! Jan and feb...march is spring as far as Im concerned..and whats a little mold and spore amongst friends... :roll:

john pen said:
Bobberqer said:

2 months !!!!! Jan and feb...march is spring as far as Im concerned..and whats a little mold and spore amongst friends... :roll:

lol... ever the optimist :).. we'' l see if the Paddy's parade gets snowed on again this year lol

John Pen wrote:
Bobberqer said:
john pen said:
Bobberqer said:

lol... ever the optimist :).. we'' l see if the Paddy's parade gets snowed on again this year lol

It does more often than not here :shock:

I KNEW POSTING THAT WOULD DO SOMETHING!

We received our first snowfall of the year today.... only a measly inch+... but some all the same.

I just looked at the extended forecast and it shows mid 40's all this coming week...WTF?

4-Day Forecast
Sat Sun Mon Tue

Hi 39 F
Lo 29 F
Mostly Cloudy & Not Quite as Chilly, with a little sun, mainly later. High; 38-42. SW/NW 7-13. Partly Clear & Chilly overnight.

Hi 45 F
Lo 28 F
More Sunshine & Pleasant, with Increasing Clouds late. High: 40-45. E 6-12. Sct Shwrs arrive later New Year's Eve.

Hi 47 F
Lo 42 F
Shwrs become lighter and more scattered PM. Cooler late. A few shwrs/flurries overnight.

Hi 39 F
Lo 33 F
A few lt snow shwrs AM; Maybe a bit of clearing PM. Milder again Wednesday.

Thats what Im talkin' about...

Back
Top Bottom