la-la-la-can't-hear-you-la-la-la-la

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
WashPost said:
Daily Red Meat Raises Chances Of Dying Early
Study Is First Large Analysis Of Link With Overall Health

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 24, 2009; Page A01

Eating red meat increases the chances of dying prematurely, according to the first large study to examine whether regularly eating beef or pork increases mortality.

The study of more than 500,000 middle-aged and elderly Americans found that those who consumed about four ounces of red meat a day (the equivalent of about a small hamburger) were more than 30 percent more likely to die during the 10 years they were followed, mostly from heart disease and cancer. Sausage, cold cuts and other processed meats also increased the risk.
Article is here.

--John

ok by me

Thats ok by me i dont want to outlive my tastebuds anyhow right,and we really dont know when when that time is so i dont want to take the chance of giving up all that delicious red meat only to die in a accident.

Woodman said:
In all honesty, I eat very little red meat! So, see ya!
We eat more chicken, pork and venison than red meat. Grand pappy would say " Red meat is for a treat " ie B-days anniversary. But Val and I eat crab, lobster, oysters, or clams on our anniversary. That way the butter just kills ya. :roll:

Pigs

I am usually trying to eat greens, salad bar, beans, chicken or tuna salad for lunch , and most week nights, I eat cheese, crackers, breakfast cereal. Sadly, I almost never eat BBQ anymore........Now meatloaf, and burgers, that is a different story!!!

The last 2 paragraphs are really what this article is all about, we already knew the rest of it.

In addition to the health benefits, a major reduction in the eating of red meat would probably have a host of other benefits to society, Popkin said: reducing water shortages and pollution, cutting energy consumption, and tamping down greenhouse gas emissions -- all of which are associated with large-scale livestock production.

"There's a big interplay between the global increase in animal food intake and the effects on climate change," he said. "If we cut by a few ounces a day our red-meat intake, we would have big impact on emissions and environmental degradation."

Bruce B said:
The last 2 paragraphs are really what this article is all about, we already knew the rest of it.

In addition to the health benefits, a major reduction in the eating of red meat would probably have a host of other benefits to society, Popkin said: reducing water shortages and pollution, cutting energy consumption, and tamping down greenhouse gas emissions -- all of which are associated with large-scale livestock production.

"There's a big interplay between the global increase in animal food intake and the effects on climate change," he said. "If we cut by a few ounces a day our red-meat intake, we would have big impact on emissions and environmental degradation."
I'm not giving up my steak AL Gore :LOL:
BTW Porterhouses tonight ;)

Bruce B said:
You mean you think they faked the study?

For the study, researchers analyzed data from 545,653 predominantly white volunteers, ages 50 to 71, participating in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study. In 1995, the subjects filled out detailed questionnaires about their diets, including meat consumption. Over the next 10 years, 47,976 men and 23,276 women died.
--John

(The article is out of the Washington Post. Expect a little left-leaning bias.)

Back
Top Bottom