L.P. Q BBQ Championship - $75,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone famous once said that tThe only thing certain is change. If KCBS has made a great business decission, great. If they have gone down the garden path and opened alienated their base, well only time will tell.

Larry could be our poster child :LOL: :twisted:

Dat's if you go on Ray Basso's forum or the Barbecue Brethren forum I think you'll see a large ratio of the members strongly against this (probably 3 or 4 to 1). I think a lot of the knee jerk reaction comes from the fact that a lot of major decisions that the KCBS makes are without getting any input from its members. Whether this is true or not, I can't say but at least it is the perception of a lot of members. I think if these major decisions are communicated up front, it can help smooth a difficult transition. This whole LP contest shocked a lot of people though because they heard about it first from the promoters and not from the KCBS. Board members need to at least solicit the input of members before these major decisions are made. In my opinion, if this were done here that would have been a lot less resentment over this contest. In the end, I believe that the BOD's should be representing it's members instead of dictating to the members the way things are going to be.

I believe that they would consider allowing the use of electric cookers but possibly not in the same contests as gas cookers or wood cookers. The KCBS has created for now two competition divisions, the Masters (for traditional) and the Competitior Division (for gas LP cookers). My guess is that if a promoter put together a contest for electric cookers they would possibly add a third division or have them compete in the Competitor (non wood burning) division. I'm only speculating on this as this situation hasn't come up yet (that is a contest for electric cookers). This is not a rumor, it is a fact. The KCBS has been asked to sanction the LP contest in Iowa. As far as I know the BOD has not yet sanctioned the contest (voted on it yet) but seem to be definitely leaning in that direction.

I hope this answers your questions. You can see this issue debated on Ray Basso's BBQ Forum or on numberous other forums including the Barbecue Brethren and this one. I hope that answers your questions.

Kloset BBQR said:
Dat's if you go on Ray Basso's forum or the Barbecue Brethren forum I think you'll see a large ratio of the members strongly against this (probably 3 or 4 to 1). I think a lot of the knee jerk reaction comes from the fact that a lot of major decisions that the KCBS makes are without getting any input from its members. Whether this is true or not, I can't say but at least it is the perception of a lot of members. I think if these major decisions are communicated up front, it can help smooth a difficult transition. This whole LP contest shocked a lot of people though because they heard about it first from the promoters and not from the KCBS. Board members need to at least solicit the input of members before these major decisions are made. In my opinion, if this were done here that would have been a lot less resentment over this contest. In the end, I believe that the BOD's should be representing it's members instead of dictating to the members the way things are going to be.

I'll take a look at those sites. Thanks.

Kloset BBQR said:

Not being a member of KCBS, I ask the following question. Is the B.O.D. elected at large or by region?

Kloset BBQR said:
The whole LP contest shocked a lot of people though because they heard about it first from the promoters and not from the KCBS.

There was a notice of this change in the December Bullsheet. Rod Gray had it written up in his minutes from the November meeting.

I look at this just like the Oinktoberfest Back Yard division where they allowed other heat sources for the contest. The backbone of KCBS will still be Wood fired pits.

KCBS member since 2002

I don't see it that way Rich. The Backyard section of Oinktoberfest as far as I know doesn't exclude contestants that cook with wood. It's purpose is for the beginning competitor to get into the Sport without intimidation that might be present by hopping into the big contest. The LP contest however does exclude those that cook with the only method endorsed by the KCBS, thus alienating the majority of its existing membership.

And yes there was a small blurb in the Notes from the Board Section in the December Bullsheet about the establishment of the Master Series and Competitior Series and it was voted on and passed unanimously. There was no mention of the KCBS sanctioning the LP contest in question. Shouldn't the KCBS at least have solicited the input of its membership before voting on and passing such a dramatic change? Is this asking too much. I would have liked to have seen an open discussion on this in previous editions of the Bullsheet where solicitation of members opinions was actively sought before it was put to a vote. I believe if this would have been done, the ultimate decision would have been received in a far less volatile manner than it was.

Kloset BBQR said:
I don't see it that way Rich. The Backyard section of Oinktoberfest as far as I know doesn't exclude contestants that cook with wood. It's purpose is for the beginning competitor to get into the Sport without intimidation that might be present by hopping into the big contest. The LP contest however does exclude those that cook with the only method endorsed by the KCBS, thus alienating the majority of its existing membership.

And yes there was a small blurb in the Notes from the Board Section in the December Bullsheet about the establishment of the Master Series and Competitior Series and it was voted on and passed unanimously. There was no mention of the KCBS sanctioning the LP contest in question. Shouldn't the KCBS at least have solicited the input of its membership before voting on and passing such a dramatic change? Is this asking too much. I would have liked to have seen an open discussion on this in previous editions of the Bullsheet where solicitation of members opinions was actively sought before it was put to a vote. I believe if this would have been done, the ultimate decision would have been received in a far less volatile manner than it was.

Does this mean that any of the gassers must use only GAS and no other source of heat??? Where are they going to get smoke flavor? Wood chips??? Then you are using wood as a heat source...small source but who defines small and who is going to police this? I'm also wondering if the promoters of these all gas events are going to required to have more insurance coverage because of the use of gas...I bet they do.

Hey, bottom line, if you don't want to cook like this...don't go. If KCBS doesn't share your views or opinions or doesn't seem like they are listening...don't join.

I can see KCBS making more classes within comps for "non traditional fuel"(gassers, electric), "combustion assisted"(gravity feeds, gurus, etc), and traditional(KCBS rules of today). Complicates things, doesn't it?

I don't know the answer to your questions Bubba. Here is the announcement of the event.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L-P-QUE BBQ Championship...............

Times are changing in BBQ land! We, along with KCBS, are proud to be announcing a different breed of contest. It is the new Competitor Series cook-off that KCBS will support this coming season. Exciting times as the Society allows for the plowing of new ground by edorsing a different style of contest. The new Competitor Series allows an organizer to set some new rules, yet still gain contest backing from the largest sanctioning body in the world. KCBS Reps will oversee the contest so that the revised rules are followed by all the teams involved. A very exciting concept that will bring additional interest to competition bbq and help the sport grow.

So do you want to hear more?

I have been contracted by Sugar Grove Custom Cars, LLC., located in Dallas Center, Iowa, to organize a KCBS Competitor Series BBQ Championship. This contest will be open to teams that use approved LP gas pits. Approval will require the cooking equipment to have electronic ignition, thermostat control capability, and automatic gas shutoff should the flame go out. In otherwords use your gas cooker as it was designed to be used by the manufacturer. We will
cook the usual four main meat categories (Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket) that KCBS has always sanctioned, but in this contest we will eliminate the use of all types of garnish. A simple contest
with simple rules. The contest name will be The L-P-Que BBQ Championship.

The contest will be held in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa on the grounds where the Midwest Old ThreshersReunion is held each year. Check out their site at www.oldthreshers.com. The contest will be held in the main part of the RV Park. The dates are June 15th and 16th, 2007 with provision being made for early arrivals or late departures. The 60 acre RV Park offers 30 and 50 amp electrical service,water, a dump station, restrooms and showers.

Want more exciting news?

Being offered is the largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest. The Grand Prize winner will receive a $20,000 Harley Davidson Motorcycle plus $15,000 in cash. This would make the GC prize package of $35,000 also historic! The contest will award over $75,000 in prizes and money. Money will be paid down through 15 places and trophies will be awarded through 5 places. Also, the teams sending in their entries by an early bird registration date will receive raffle tickets for a drawing to win an Ole Hickory CTO gas cooker valued at $6,650!

There will only be a limited number of teams taken, so don't run out of gas before you enter this history making BBQ Championship!!!! To receive more details contact Arlie Bragg at 615-758-8749 or Arlieque@comcast.net. Note: preliminary approval given, but final
approval is pending formal KCBS board action.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one good thing that I will say that has come out of this, is that there has been a lot of discussion, education, and sharing of information. I've learned a lot of things about the contests and KCBS that I didn't know before and that I think is a good thing. I think if we would have had this kind of discussion before this contest was announced it would have gone down a lot smoother. I don't think KCBS needs to fear its members or the members fear the BOD's. This discussion has been heated but in my opinion ultimately healthy for all involved.

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":1pb29btk]I don't see it that way Rich. The Backyard section of Oinktoberfest as far as I know doesn't exclude contestants that cook with wood. It's purpose is for the beginning competitor to get into the Sport without intimidation that might be present by hopping into the big contest. The LP contest however does exclude those that cook with the only method endorsed by the KCBS, thus alienating the majority of its existing membership.

Does this mean that any of the gassers must use only GAS and no other source of heat??? Where are they going to get smoke flavor? Wood chips??? and traditional(KCBS rules of today). Complicates things, doesn't it?[/quote:1pb29btk]

Well there is always the foil packet manuver , get some heavy duty foil place part soaked and dry wood chips in it fold up the ends tight an d poke wholes in the top for the smoke to get through.

We'll, none of this really bothered me until I read what the "approved" pit had to be. They are basically forcing people that want to compete in this category to go out and buy a pit from a major manufacturer.

"Approval will require the cooking equipment to have electronic ignition, thermostat control capability, and automatic gas shutoff should the flame go out. In otherwords use your gas cooker as it was designed to be used by the manufacturer."

Whatever happened to the little guy?

Good! Now I can flip on the gas at about midnite and sleep until 4, like all of the others who are using doo-dads and technology to milk their charcoal fires through the night! I honestly don't care one way or the other. This is just fun for me. I really believe that they ought to make it "wood only". Then, you have to actually show some skills and tenacity at maintaining a fire. Want to use your WSM? Build a fire on the side and start shoveling coals in every hour. Yeah, stay up all night with the rest of us ! ;)

Finney said:
We'll, none of this really bothered me until I read what the "approved" pit had to be. They are basically forcing people that want to compete in this category to go out and buy a pit from a major manufacturer.

"Approval will require the cooking equipment to have electronic ignition, thermostat control capability, and automatic gas shutoff should the flame go out. In otherwords use your gas cooker as it was designed to be used by the manufacturer."

I ask my wife the same thing just about everyday! :oops:

Finney said:

The gas oven in my kitchen meets those requirements :LOL:

Woodman said:
Good! Now I can flip on the gas at about midnite and sleep until 4, like all of the others who are using doo-dads and technology to milk their charcoal fires through the night! I honestly don't care one way or the other. This is just fun for me. I really believe that they ought to make it "wood only". Then, you have to actually show some skills and tenacity at maintaining a fire. Want to use your WSM? Build a fire on the side and start shoveling coals in every hour. Yeah, stay up all night with the rest of us ! ;)

No you can't. Your expensive smoker doesn't meat their requirements. :P

oompappy said:
Finney said:

Do gas-fired pits have flame failure sensors? I'm accustomed to seeing them on industrial equipment, but I've never looked closely at a portable gas cooker.

Larry D. said:
oompappy said:
Finney said:

Do gas-fired pits have flame failure sensors? I'm accustomed to seeing them on industrial equipment, but I've never looked closely at a portable gas cooker.
Most of the big, expensive ones do. The home made ones and most of the small shop built one wouldn't.

Sounds like they should just rename it the Restaurant and Caterers Comp or the I can't really Q but I can run an outdoor oven....

Back
Top Bottom