L.P. Q BBQ Championship - $75,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never said you didn't have a right to speak but what does any of what you are saying have to do with this topic. Just for the record I don't use a stoker in comps. It doesn't work to well with a rotisserie!

As far as being a gadget freek, guilty as charged!

Kloset BBQR said:
Never said you didn't have a right to speak but what does any of what you are saying have to do with this topic. Just for the record I don't use a stoker in comps. It doesn't work to well with a rotisserie!

Ummm......... I was replying to Bruces post that was posted in this topic, therefore it has something to do with this topic!! [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

brian j said:
wow. did the url for basso's forum change to bbq-4-u.com? everyone needs stop bitch and start picking on puff of something. :LOL:

Just a friendly debate until that beoach Puffster wakes up from his beauty sleep! :shock:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":35wrizrx]Never said you didn't have a right to speak but what does any of what you are saying have to do with this topic. Just for the record I don't use a stoker in comps. It doesn't work to well with a rotisserie!

Ummm......... I was replying to Bruces post that was posted in this topic, therefore it has something to do with this topic!! [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif][/quote:35wrizrx]

Which as I previously pointed out, had nothing to do with this topic! :D [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif] [smilie=threadjacked.gif]

Finney said:
Kloset.... If they let gas in and rewrite the misson statemant..................
I get your Stump's... right? :LOL:

I don't think so Chris, I'll have to figure out how to convert it to gas and electric so I can be as politically inclusive as possible. Maybe even add a deep frying option to it. Sounds like a ticking time bomb doesn't it?

But I'm with you on that crock pot chicken though! :D

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":12l39pga][quote="Kloset BBQR":12l39pga]Never said you didn't have a right to speak but what does any of what you are saying have to do with this topic. Just for the record I don't use a stoker in comps. It doesn't work to well with a rotisserie!

Ummm......... I was replying to Bruces post that was posted in this topic, therefore it has something to do with this topic!! [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif][/quote:12l39pga]

Which as I previously pointed out, had nothing to do with this topic! :D [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif] [smilie=threadjacked.gif][/quote:12l39pga]

Ok Ok Ok you're correct!!! I am sorry!!! [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

Darn, I was hoping this topic was going to get to 17 pages on flaming me alone! It's still early though! :D

brian j said:
f%ck the gassers. 8) if you don't start the fire by rubbing 2 sticks together it ain't Q. :LOL: seriously, i think gas is pushing things a bit. even pellet cookers and automatic temp control devises are pushing things a bit far, not that i'm complaining though.

Ok how about the Qers that have modified thier gas cookers to also use wood , I have seen a few out there. And you can always use the foil pack smoker idea with wood chips if you have a gaser??

Walter,

The way I see it using KCBS rules in reverse should work. Those whose pits are modified to cook with both wood and gas would be allowed to start their fires one time with wood, but after that would be subject to disqualification if a wood fired source was used after the initial startup.

Now how crazy does that sound? :D :shock:

Kloset BBQR said:
Walter,

The way I see it using KCBS rules in reverse should work. Those whose pits are modified to cook with both wood and gas would be allowed to start their fires one time with wood, but after that would be subject to disqualification if a wood fired source was used after the initial startup.

Now how crazy does that sound? :D :shock:

Me I am still trying to save my money and buy one of those Lang model 84 deluxe for myself.

My post stands...it didn't miss the point as it's been accused of; there was a time when pellet cookers weren't allowed and many would still like to see them banned because they don't fit someone's definition of what they think real BBQ is or should be.

Using electricity to twirl racks of meat over a fire probably wouldn't fit into that definition either, apparently it's OK for Dallas though, as it is with me.

Plugging another electrical device into your pit to digitally monitor temperatures and to electronically control the movement of air to adjust those temperatures....well let's not even get into that.

Things evolve over time, we have ventured from the cave, we don't all drive Model T's anymore, we no longer cook over a hole in the ground, and many no longer stay awake all night tending their $18,000 off set pits.
There is room in this world for all of God's or Allah's Q'ers.

Perhaps those that are so upset should immediately pen their letter of resignation to the KCBS, (remember don't use your computer) and refuse to participate in any future KCBS sanctioned competitions.

That'll show 'em !

Bruce B said:
My post stands...it didn't miss the point as it's been accused of; there was a time when pellet cookers weren't allowed and many would still like to see them banned because they don't fit someone's definition of what they think real BBQ is or should be.

Using electricity to twirl racks of meat over a fire probably wouldn't fit into that definition either, apparently it's OK for Dallas though, as it is with me.

Plugging another electrical device into your pit to digitally monitor temperatures and to electronically control the movement of air to adjust those temperatures....well let's not even get into that.

Things evolve over time, we have ventured from the cave, we don't all drive Model T's anymore, we no longer cook over a hole in the ground, and many no longer stay awake all night tending their $18,000 off set pits.
There is room in this world for all of God's or Allah's Q'ers.

Perhaps those that are so upset should immediately pen their letter of resignation to the KCBS, (remember don't use your computer) and refuse to participate in any future KCBS sanctioned competitions.

That'll show 'em !

Well the short answer Brucie is gas is not BBQ!

Yeah I'll hold on to my KCBS membership just long enough to vote against every BOD that passes this.

I understand what you're saying. Not being a member, I don't understand all sides of the debate. I love the heritage and tradition of bbq, and would like to see it preserved. I completely understand why allowing
gas cookers to make roasted pork in a bbq contest would be frowned on.

I guess its a growing pain for the KCBS. They can grow their membership and influence by allowing gas, and that's good.
They can also hep educate and perpetuate real bbq either way as well.

It's a tough call, I just hate to see people quitting over it.

As long as the contests are seperate I dont mind at all. Let them have their fun. I draw the line at cheaters. If you get caught, you should be flogged with a select brisket from walmart. Thats my opinion.

Captain Morgan said:
I understand what you're saying. Not being a member, I don't understand all sides of the debate. I love the heritage and tradition of bbq, and would like to see it preserved. I completely understand why allowing

I guess its a growing pain for the KCBS. They can grow their membership and influence by allowing gas, and that's good.

Ok folks its all BBQ , we can all agree to disagree . If we were all the same it would be boring. Anyone who wnats to quit and run do so , its not in my nature to do so. Am I a member of KCBS nope, really dont plan on it right now , think I will stick with the SCBA , but hey what ever makes ya happy do it. Maybe down the road I will go the KCSB route for now I am happy were I am. I perfer cooking with charcoal /wood but there are a thousand ways to do BBQ , for me its all good. Its not the cooker its the skill of the pit master and the taste buds of the judges, that wins the day.

Captain Morgan said:

Thanks Cappy. I really think the issue comes down to hypocrisy!

Point 1 - What is the definition of BBQ? Does Gas fall into that definition.
Point 2 - KCBS says that want to be more inclusive rather exclusive yet they ban gassers from competing with those cooking with wood.
Point 3 - Be consistent. Either allow all cookers in but then you have just violated your mission statement that will now have to be amended.
Point 4 - If you amend your mission statement haven't you just sold out?
Point 5 - If your goal is to be more inclusive then why sanction a contest that doesn't meet your definition of BBQ and is exclusive of those that do.

This is NOT a debate about different type of cookers but the heritage of BBQ and cooking with wood. In the end unfortunately for the KCBS it's all about money. Nothing else, pure greed! Just remember these at the next election and vote them out! I will!

Personally, call it bbq if you want, but if it involves liquid fuel (or liquid smoke) it doesn't interest me. I'm not a competitor, but as a spectator, I'd rather go to a contest where everyone roasts hot dogs on a stick (as long as it was over a real fire). [smilie=a_madtongue.gif]

Back
Top Bottom