Kitchen Ooops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Tanked a meatloaf when I was 12 years old. Dad loves onion, so I put three medium yellow onions in a one and a half pound meatloaf. Hell, the damn dog wouldn't eat it. Let's share some of our worst boo boos in the kitchen, might be fun! :LOL: If this thread takes off, more to boo boos to come. ;)

Well aside from this thread there was the time I smoked a turkey with cheap charcoal mixed with anthracite coal the night before Thanksgiving. Man what a foul taste!

I ran out of charcoal because it was down in the lower 20's that night and I had to try to find charcoal... in November... in Virginia... at three in the morning. I finally found some at a 24 hour grocery store, but I discovered later that it contained Anthracite coal mixed in as a binder.

(Did you know that Wal Mart stows all their charcoal and grill stuff in the winter, and the area is covered with Christmas stuff? Well they do! I could see the lump charcoal shrink wrapped on a pallet and up on a high rack, but I could not plead or bribe the manager enough to make them get it down for me. I even offered to buy the whole pallet. )

Of course today I would light up the fireplace with oak and shovel hot hardwood coals inside a metal bucket to keep the cooker filled, but back then I just didn't know any better.

ok when I was 14/15 I decided to make a mushroom pasta and onion garlic casserole for my family.

The recipe called for 4 cloves of garlic. I did not know what a cloved of garlic was so I put in 4 whole heads of garlic.

I baked the casserole as per instructions and when my parents walked in the house their eyes watered at the stench of garlic. We had to open every window for 2 days to get the garlic smell out wash everything int he kitchen and the draperies as well and years later my mom swore that she could still get wafts of residual garlic.

When I was a young teen or tween, I decided to surprise my parents with a nice dinner after they'd been gone to the dentist all afternoon. My sister and I cooked together. We looked through cookbooks and finally found a recipe for a "Spanish meatloaf". It was one of the few recipes that we had all the ingredients in the house at the time. This meatloaf called for spanish olives. I chopped them up just like it said and put them in. That was the most awful, mouth puckering food I've ever put in my mouth. My poor grandmother even came and ate it with us. No wonder my mom did almost all of the cooking!

OK, I'm game. And this is real embarassing cause I was 50 at the time. For some reason(adult beverages perhaps?) I decided that regular ole smoking woods were just too plain Jane so I decided to go an cut some dead branches off of my cedar tree in the backyard and throw a few chunks into the pit.

That was three years ago and I have yet to see a mosquito in my yard.

I was 24, just bought my first house and decided to have my buddies over to watch Sunday football and enjoy a big pot of chili. I was going to make the chili from scratch, dried beans etc........ Got everything in chopped, sauteed and then into the pot and added the beans about 30 minutes before we were ready to eat. Beers were flowing and we all got hungry, so the chili was served.........I noticed my buddie making faces and then I hear "dude the beans are hard as rocks". Yep I was embarrassed, but learned!

Fluid burgers ever had sum of them ? ya just keep the fire hot with fluid wile your burgers or on the grill , cooks faster :oops:

not a story where I cooked, but a few years ago this dude
invited me over to his house to watch a game and try
his world famous chili...he had been bragging about it
for a long time....anyway, when I ate it, I broke a tooth
on a rock hard bean....the moron had put dry beans
in the chili just before he served them.

That was the last time I've eaten at his house.

I wanted to tell him, dude, with a head that big,
how can you be so dumb!

Before I knew better, I used to boil ribs....in stock with liquid smoke. :shock:
Them seemed great at the time. Maybe I should try them again? :LOL: :oops:

Man... last week seems so long ago!
:roll:

</rickroll>

Well I was a faithful Justeen watcher on Sat afternoon on PBS and I mean for years. I would watch the show and write down the ingredients and make the dish during the week..then come next Sat I would restart the process. Well he had a recipe for pork neck bones and turnips cooked in one of them big oven turkey cooking bags in the oven. The recipe called for a bunch of wine so I sent the warden off to the likkor store to buy some. Well the lady at the likkor store talked her into buying Thunderbird Wine. It was purty bad. In fact the only good thing Justeen know how to make is Hushpuppies and Garlic Bread. How he ever got a cooking show I aint got a clue less maybe it was the cajun jokes.

bigwheel

"In fact the only good thing Justeen know how to make is Hushpuppies and Garlic Bread. How he ever got a cooking show I aint got a clue less maybe it was the cajun jokes."

I think its you not Justeen .

I'm sure it could never have happened, but Mr & Mrs Griff are convinced that I miscounted and doubled the amount of pepper in a batch of rub I mixed up for them. :shock:

--John
(Well, maybe ... :oops: )

What have I not screwed up. :roll:

When I was about 13 I got my hair caught in a cake mixer while I was trying to make a cake. I had a bald patch for weeks and still have a tiny scar.

I used to routinely dry out chicken breasts.

I have caught my grill on fire more times than I can count. Nothing like walking outside to check on the burgers after finishing the fries and finding the flames of hell licking up around the sides of the lid. :twisted: I've only burned the burgers once, though. Now my fiance helps with the fries, too. (took him long enough)

I'm sure I've blocked out the worst of it. Never needed the fire department and never sent anyone to the hospital. Really just alot of mediocre semi-edible dinners sprinkled with delicasies. Now it's the other way around. Now my fiance on the other hand...

Unity said:
I'm sure it could never have happened, but Mr & Mrs Griff are convinced that I miscounted and doubled the amount of pepper in a batch of rub I mixed up for them. :shock:

--John
(Well, maybe ... :oops: )

Yeah, and the sad part was that John was not drinking. Oh by the way, it was cayenne pepper that he doubled up.

Back
Top Bottom