Kirk vs. Dr. BBQ Off Topic - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
BBQ Centralite

Thanks Joker, great idea. Fortunately for me, I'm only banned from Basso's site at work, as well as everyone in my company (he bans the user's server) but I can access the site at home. I just don't post there for obvious reasons.

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Old 09-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
Thanks Joker, great idea. Fortunately for me, I'm only banned from Basso's site at work, as well as everyone in my company (he bann's the user's servers) but I can access the site at home. I just don't post there for obvious reasons.

ROFL!!! I've been censored over there, but never banned!!!

I think.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #3

Well, I'm banned for life too, but there are ways, my friends..

Old 09-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
BBQ Centralite

My crime was trying to solicit interest in a Paul Kirk class in the Cleveland area. I guess Dr. BBQ got pissed.

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
BBQ Central College

Why was he pissed?,is Dr BBQ not allowed in Cleveland?
Old 09-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
BBQ Centralite

Someone from the site sent me an email demanding to know why I wasn't considering Dr. BBQ to teach a class. I answered honestly saying that I had never heard of the guy and would no more go to a class taught by a guy who arrogantly referred to himself as Dr. BBQ as I would have my tax return done my someone called Mr. Tax (and BTW there is such a guy in NE Ohio). I guess that did it.

I'm sorry but IMO Paul Kirk and Ray Lampe are not even in the same league.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 09-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
I answered honestly saying that I had never heard of the guy and would no more go to a class taught by a guy who arrogantly referred to himself as Dr. BBQ as I would have my tax return done my someone called Mr. Tax (and BTW there is such a guy in NE Ohio). I guess that did it.
I guess so!!!!! But ain't that the truth ! !

:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Old 09-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Graduate of BBQ Central

Kloset BBQr
I find it interesting you think Ray is arrogant for calling his self DrBBQ but find no problem with a guy that calls his self Baron of BBQ.

Your right Paul and Ray are not in the same league, Ray wins BBQ competitions, Paul use to win BBQ competitions.

Paul's classes are bbq 101, if your a beginner he may teach you something.

Jim
Old 09-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Kloset BBQr
I find it interesting you think Ray is arrogant for calling his self DrBBQ but find no problem with a guy that calls his self Baron of BBQ.

Your right Paul and Ray are not in the same league, Ray wins BBQ competitions, Paul use to win BBQ competitions.

Jim
Ray seems to be on the up and up. He does what he does. Personally, I admire anyone who can make a living out of this hobby. =D>

I'd like to attend the Minion Class. Any chance you might come east and teach us a thing or two. [-o<

Good Q!

Jack
Old 09-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
Graduate of BBQ Central

Jack
Nothing in the works at the moment but would like to put something together if there is interest.
Jim
Old 09-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
BBQ Central College

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Kloset BBQr

Jim
Well i heard that no matter how badly Paul Kirk is doing in a competition Dr BBQ is doing worse,yeah i guess those 7 world championships won by Paul Kirk don't count,pretty much after those World championships,Kirk can call himself whatever he wants.Yeah Kirks are beginner classes,Dr's are advanced,"How to get a 18# 30" whole packer brisket onto a 18" 3000 year old,space age technology grill, then injecting it with a liter of juice and not get any on your shoes.Oh and of course the super advanced book -Big Time BBQ cookbook,tell me that it's anywhere near the quality of Paul Kirks masterpiece-Championship BBQ. [-X
Old 09-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
Graduate of BBQ Central

The real question is who has finished behind Paul in a competition in the last 6 or 7 years?
Jim
Old 09-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
BBQ Central College

That's a question?When i decipher it i'll post a response.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
BBQ Central College

Well after some thought i guess i can go two ways with this,hmmm,
uhhh if you mean Paul Kirk hasn't competed in 6-7 years,then i guess maybe he's busy opening multi million dollar restaurants,traveling the world teaching chefs,now if your saying that he's not doing too well,which truthfully, i don't know,maybe there's no peach juice flying out of his briskets and butts at these new fangled competitions and the judges like the taste of fruit juice,,
beef flavor is so passay eh? =D>
Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #15
Graduate of BBQ Central

BBQmmm
Not sure where you are getting your information or if you know who's who, but Paul still competes. He went to Whisler BC and finished 14th out of 18 cooks, many of them new cooks. He competes in MO and surrounding area, just is a non-factor.

The guy that was injecting fruit juice was not Ray.

Do you know either of them or just reading about them?

When Mr Lilly put his show together he could pick anyone to participate both were part of the show, one cooked the other one judged. One made the finals the other was nowhere to be seen.

Jim
Old 09-11-2005, 01:51 AM   #16
BBQ Central College

Oh my goodness,14th out of 18.
Yeah a non factor!!!Goodnight,your making me sheepy.
That last edit of yours about the allstar bbq show really cracks me up.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:02 AM   #17
BBQ Centralite

You know it looks like we've got sidetracked on a Paul Kirk v. Dr. BBQ debate. I know that you are a frequent poster on Ray Basso's board and are defending him here on this forum. I think the Basso forum has some of the best knowledge out there along with Chris Allingham's WSM board where I had the pleasure of meeting you and receiving many good tips. But I find it appaling that people could get banned for life (or at least until they beg for Ray's forgiveness, which I will never do) for trying to put together a class to help beginning BBQ'rs. And yes I still probably consider myself a beginner BBQ'r (that's why I had never heard of Dr. BBQ at the time). This board was put together at least so that we could have a little more freedom of speech, something soley missing on Ray Basso's forum and that's a shame because there is so much knowledge over there. There are also a bunch of rude old timers that like to beat up on newbies over there and Ray doesn't seem to stop that behavior.

I'm sorry if you think I attacked Dr. BBQ that wasn't my intention although if I had to pick one guy out there that is overrated it would definitely be Ray. Has he ever won anything at the National Level? (All Star BBQ Showdown doesn't qualify). He is not even in the same league as Kirk, Mike Mills, Chris Lilly, and Myron Mixon yet he has made a name for himself on the circuit. Until he posts his first world championship, I don't think we can even talk about him in a class with the people I've mentioned above. Just my opinion.

Jim, since I started this thread to ask about pork presentation what's your opinion, pulled, chopped or sliced? Thanks for any feedback. I'm guessing it's probably more of a regional thing.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:16 AM   #18
BBQ Centralite

Ray Who? Paul who?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
Web Celeb

There is a good chance the the majority of the members have no idea who you are talking about as we don't compete.

Everyone is free to express their views here if done properly...I hope that BBQMMM is expressing his opinion and not taking up for another forum. That would be a little disheartning.

No one here will ever be censored because they mention another forum. I do not think I have the only forum on the internet. But I do know that on many other forums, if you mention another forum, that post usually gets deleted...not here!

So, please share and argue you positions! We all like a well reasoned discussion here! =D>
Old 09-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #20

I consider myself an intermediate q'er. I'm sure I could learn from Kirk or just about anyone, including almost everyone on this board. So I don't really see a need to determine who is the best bbq'er in the world.
Kirk's string of championships is absolutely to be admired, but the field has changed some since he won. There are a lot more teams, and a lot more talent out there. Lilly amazes me, and does Myron.

But I'll continue to learn from every source available. Don't limit yourself to just one or two people (and I mean Raichlen here).