Keep a Good Thought Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
img_173023_0_88ab98a74c04edf46d49dbf47c0d737c.jpg

Eye, them lads is always thought of on often, but on this day especially. Were a military family, past an present, I have documentation of an ancestor that wen't across the Delaware with George Washington, rescpect fer the uniform runs high in this family.

God Bless to all that have sacrifced so much for us.

Rest in peace.

"'A Date Which Will Live in Infamy'"

Early in the afternoon of December 7, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his chief foreign policy aide, Harry Hopkins, were interrupted by a telephone call from Secretary of War Henry Stimson and told that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. At about 5:00 p.m., following meetings with his military advisers, the President calmly and decisively dictated to his secretary, Grace Tully, a request to Congress for a declaration of war. He had composed the speech in his head after deciding on a brief, uncomplicated appeal to the people of the United States rather than a thorough recitation of Japanese perfidies, as Secretary of State Cordell Hull had urged.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/day-of-infamy/images/infamy-radio-address.wav

thanks for the reminder. We sometimes get busy and forget. I know I do. :cry:

Hey Hillbilly dittos that. Well said all in fact. Thanks to all who serve..served or will serve in the future. Hopefully that was your ancestor who finally convinced old George to sit down in the boat and put on his life jacket. I seen this one pic of the epic crossing which showed George standing up in the boat whilst wildly waving around his sword and apparently on the verge of falling into the ice water. My Grandma's Grandpa (Sandy Horton) helped draw up the battle plan for the Battle of San Jacinto whereas the Texicans whupped the snot out of Santa Anna and his boys. Few Tenneseeans scattered around in there too. My kin musta been slackers in the American Revolution cuz I aint never heard nothing about it. Now on my Mama's side of the family they was here to greet old Columbus when he got off his boat. My Daddy always say she was a "full blooded halfast Choctaw injun." Here is a purty good link about Great Grandpappy Sandy. His real name was Alexander but everybody called him Sandy for some reason.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... fho63.html

bigwheel

Hillbilly said:
Eye, them lads is always thought of on often, but on this day especially. Were a military family, past an present, I have documentation of an ancestor that wen't across the Delaware with George Washington, rescpect fer the uniform runs high in this family.

God Bless to all that have sacrifced so much for us.

Rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom