Just so you guys know how heated the east/west Carolina - Page 4 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Excellent example. Now after you've tried it with your pulled pork, try mixing it with a little apple juice, and you'll be very close to my sauce.
Got it a couple of days ago, Jim. Tastes pretty salty/vinegarey (spelling sucks tonight ~ can I say that?? ) but imagening how it would taste on pork, I'm looking forward to it!! HOWEVER... I will have to find another source 'cause I ain't payin' $12 for 2 16 oz. bottles again!!!

Now, can you help me out a little more with your formula??
Old 02-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #32

well my mixture tonight has more to do with Jack Daniels, which is NOT a bourbon, so I'm not much help. I'll be back tomorrow. I've never actually mixed it with Scotts, but it depends a lot on how the pork is done....pulled, coarse chopped, fine chopped, or minced. The bigger the hunks, the more apple juice for me. Minced is a terrible way to do pork, and it dries out quickly. Those little tid bits need more vinegar imho.

Keep in mind, I am a unique individual about this. I like the sweet of the apple, but the hot pepper wang is number one.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #33

Quote:
... The bigger the hunks, the more apple juice for me. Minced is a terrible way to do pork, and it dries out quickly. Those little tid bits need more vinegar imho.

Keep in mind, I am a unique individual about this. I like the sweet of the apple, but the hot pepper wang is number one.
Gotcha! No chopped pork here! And I like your taste! I'm on a mission!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #34
Official BBQ Central Mark

If you like it. I'll send you more. Also check out the cornucopia of sauce recipes that you have from John Mason. Also, there are some in Paul Kirks Champ BBQ Sauces. Also try the Southern Succor Sauce that goes with Mr. Brown.

And Welcome back.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #35

Thanks Chris..I'll do that. Just wanted a good baseline to get started with.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #36

Quote:
The good news is that sauce is is simple...in my version it's apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. It's easy and cheap to experiment with to get it to your tastes. If you find you added too much apple juice or sugar, add a little white vinegar. Imho, it has to have a sharp vinegar bite, followed by the heat of the pepper and the sweetness of the apple. I make mine very hot, and add more apple juice for other folks.
So Capt'n, is that all you're gonna give us?? No amounts??

BTW, I'm gonna have several PP sammiches tonight and I want to mix up some of that Scotts sauce with apple juice like you said. Can you give me a ratio to get me started?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #37

um, well I'm not real scientific. Never met Horatio. I just go by taste. Now different vinegars have different acidity's, and some apple juice is sweeter than others.

Let me say that the Scott's is strong stuff...lots of heat and wang. That's fine with me. It may be better for you to start with a half cup o that and half cup of apple juice. Now remember, you can add a little water in there to thin it out.

Like everything in bbq, it all depends on YOUR taste. I like mine hot and tart and a hint of sweet.

All depends on your rub, too. If it's already peppery, might want to thin out the sauce a little (a little!)

Important to remember that this thin sauce does not cling like a tomato sauce. It will leave a thin coat after you pout it on. That's the whole idea...don't cover the taste of the smoked pork. Which is exactly why I don't like tomato based sauces on smoked meats....they are heavy and tend to cover up the smoke flavor.....the combo of vin/pep/sweet is a wonderful enhancing flavor. Make small batches till you find your proper Horatio, but remember, it needs to be strong (like the Scott's) to affect the meat properly. You don't want to make the meat mushy by soaking it a bowl of sauce, which is why so many eastern style sauces seem so strong when you taste it out of the bottle!

Have fun my q brudda!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 PM   #38

Poor Horatio!

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Old 02-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #39

Chris, that was just for you.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #40

Capt'n,
You threw out the bait... and I bit.

Opie: I ain't never seen one of them.
Andy: What?
Opie: A half a boy.
Andy: It's not really a 'half a boy'. It's a ratio.
Opie: Poor Horatio.

Great eppisode. With that exchange being in the backing story, not the primary storyline.

in seach of Umami