Just so you guys know how heated the east/west Carolina - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #11

Mr. Haney says....I've got a great deal for you on some western style q...some of the best stuff that you ever had, and I'll let you have it all for just 99 cents a pound! \/

Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #12
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?
Now that is putting words in my mouth, I'm getting old but can't believe I've ever made that statment. LOL

Jim

Old 02-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Quote:
As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?
Now that is putting words in my mouth, I'm getting old but can't believe I've ever made that statment. LOL

Jim

You didn't, I was seeing if you were reading!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Finney, you've got to be kidding me....you are kidding me right?
Eastern sauce completely enhances the flavor of the pork. It was bastardized as it moved west with tomato...which covers up the flavor.
Eventually it got to Memphis and Kansas City, where they completely ruined it. As the Oracle of the Holy Grub clearly states, the only reason eastern q isn't on tv all the time is because there are no major metropolitan centers in that neck of the woods. As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?
Morgan... What the Hell are you talking about? All the Lexington Style places I've ever been to, or all the pick pick'ns, or any of the BBQ I've ever eaten in that region have a THIN vinegar based sauce. They have just a hint of tomato in them to give the sauce a reddish tint. That's all the tomato that is in them. I don't know what the hell you have been eating that someone told you was Lexington style.

You have to go much further west to gat anything that has a real tomato presence.

Don't make me drive up to Myrtle Beach and "Kick your Ass".

Have you closed down your website yet? After that post you better do it, because you don't know 'Jack Shit' about BBQ.

just kidding. about the rants... not the Lex BBQ.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #15

well I've got a poker game to clean up, but I'll educate you guys later.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:01 PM   #16

[quote=Chris Finney]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain Morgan":3ldt2i1p
Finney, you've got to be kidding me....you are kidding me right?
Eastern sauce completely enhances the flavor of the pork. It was bastardized as it moved west with tomato...which covers up the flavor.
Eventually it got to Memphis and Kansas City, where they completely ruined it. As the Oracle of the Holy Grub clearly states, the only reason eastern q isn't on tv all the time is because there are no major metropolitan centers in that neck of the woods. As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?
Morgan... What the Hell are you talking about? All the Lexington Style places I've ever been to, or all the pick pick'ns, or any of the BBQ I've ever eaten in that region have a THIN vinegar based sauce. They have just a hint of tomato in them to give the sauce a reddish tint. That's all the tomato that is in them. I don't know what the hell you have been eating that someone told you was Lexington style.

You have to go much further west to gat anything that has a real tomato presence.

Don't make me drive up to Myrtle Beach and "Kick your Ass".

Have you closed down your website yet? After that post you better do it, because you don't know 'Jack Shit' about BBQ.

just kidding. about the rants... not the Lex BBQ.[/quote:3ldt2i1p]

As I was saying before the poker game and last night's Dook debacle,
the further west you go, the more tomato there is. In Lexington, the sauce is indeed thin, but why add the tomato at all? It's well suited for beef, but not pork. The delicate fatty flavor is complemented by
the sharp twang of the vinegar and the spice of the pepper.

Now the reason I live in South Carolina now is that I also add a little apple juice and brown sugar to my sauce. For this reason, I am banished to smoke south of the border. Sometimes I sneak back into North Carolina for a little visit, but I have to travel by night.

Should you desire to come to Myrtle Beach, I will let you try my sauce
served over fresh smoked shoulders, and then tell me if you think it needs tomato flavoring.

Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:
Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
... Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:
I knew it!! You're embarrased to be associated with us! ROFLMAO!!! Butt, I do understand. The only person I told about this place is Larry!

Now, since I've never tried a vinager based sauce, how about giving this Yank a good one to start with...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #18

The good news is that sauce is is simple...in my version it's apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. It's easy and cheap to experiment with to get it to your tastes. If you find you added too much apple juice or sugar, add a little white vinegar. Imho, it has to have a sharp vinegar bite, followed by the heat of the pepper and the sweetness of the apple. I make mine very hot, and add more apple juice for other folks.

Scott's sauce has a website you can order from and it's a very good example of the true eastern style. You can google it and find it easily.
If you try it right out of the bottle, you'll find it very hot, but it is of course thin and doesn't cling to the meat.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #19

[quote=Bill Hays]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain Morgan":fgn5rndv
... Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:
I knew it!! You're embarrased to be associated with us! ROFLMAO!!! Butt, I do understand. The only person I told about this place is Larry!

Now, since I've never tried a vinager based sauce, how about giving this Yank a good one to start with... [/quote:fgn5rndv]

No I'm not embarrassed of you guys...I'm just worried about my people!
For example, my sister sometimes posts on that board...and I wouldn't let her near any of you! If, that is, any of you are actually heterosexual. :smt070
Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #20

Found it!. Thanks for the info and I'm ordering some as I type!