John's Island, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
Any of you from around this area? Not sure if it's going to happen but there's been some talk about us moving there. I have been doing some research on it and found a restaurant list that has JB's Smokeshack on it. Just curious if anyone can tell me more about this area. I'd like to know if it's a good place to raise a family and in general about the island itself. Looks like it's a bit more inland than I had hoped. Anyway, any info greatly appreciated!

You mean John's Island? The Charleston area? If so, you're right... More land than island. Charleston area is 'nice'. Hot, humid and expensive (to get a nice house in a nice neighborhood).
And yes, there is a JB's Smokeshack there.

I was in Charleston one July on business and it was 105 degrees!!!!! It was the most miserable heat I ever experienced. And I have been to Arizona in July many times!!!!!! The humidity was STAGGERING!!!!! Great food there though! Love that Low Country and Gullah cuisine! Magnolias is god restaraunt.

Yes, John's Island, Charleston County, SC is where we're looking. I lived in South Georgia, so know exactly how awful that humidity can be. LOL I've lived in Kingsland and Brunswick and they're both near the coast.

So the schools aren't that good down there? I looked at the different schools listed with a John's Island address and the little info you can get online showed curriculum similar to what I've seen here in Indiana. Without knowing someone in that area, it's hard to judge exactly how good they are.

Have to admit, when I saw where it was on the map, I was a bit disappointed. When I head island, I was expecting something along the lines of Hilton Head, St. Simon's or Jekyll.....not an inland island. It reminds me of the area of Blythe Island near Brunswick, GA.....surrounded by marshes.

If this move happens, the nice thing about it is rather than being over 16 hours from my family, I'd only be 4 and 2 hours from my sister. That would be nice as I really hate only seeing them once a year if I'm lucky. The whole reason we're even considering that area is because Les's brother, who he works for, has a business opportunity there. What he's talking is opening a business there having Les run it and he'll still do the construction they do now. The mortgage company they work with has offered to help find us housing at a good deal and one house is on John's Island. That's the one his brother suggested to us. So far, I have seen some pics and a description of it but no address or any other information on where it is located. It's a double wide on a piece of land. The bank guy said he could sale it in that area for $150,000 but would let us have it at a big discount because the whole endeavor would benefit the company so much. So as you can see, this is all in talk right now, I just like to do my research so the talk can be more productive. LOL If it's not a place I want to raise my family then I know that we need to look elsewhere.

Thanks guys and any other information about this area will be greatly appreciated!

Actually, yes there is! BUT, they don't look like a double wide, at least the ones I've seen doesn't. We had one on the sales lot when I worked at a dealership. It was the normal 28 wide with the two haves put together but then it had a third piece that went onto the back. That pieced was 16 x 32, I think. The house had 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a large eat in kitchen, seperate dining room, very large family room, and a formal living room. It sold for almost $70,000 back in 1999.

True, Finny,he could. LOL The only reason, we're considering this place is because of the house. They work on repossessed homes for a mortgage company and of course, the homes we can get a great deal on are homes they are trying to sale right now. This simply means there aren't a whole lot of choices and almost all of the homes are in a park. I do NOT want to live in a park! I want my own land, so I can be my own boss. LOL

http://www.jbssmokeshack.com/directions_lg.asp

beautiful area... not sure of the schools, as the people we know there do not have school age kids.... Bessingers is close .. just east of 526 and 17 intersection... there's Que places in Edisto beach, and Hollywood, right off 17, west of 526 ,,,I'll try and find the links for ya ... from what I understand the housing down there is expensive.. but then again we looked at property in Seabrook Island and only parts of John's Island ..caertainly doesnt have an Island feel to it ala Hawaii, but there's plenty of water and estuarys

Thank you for the response, Bobberqer! I was looking at the MLS listings for that area and there are a lot of bigger, newer homes for 1/2 a mil to a million. UNfortunately, we can't afford anything like that! There were a couple of smaller homes built in the 60s for $150,000 to 200,000 range which would be similar to the home we have been offered. Only difference is it's a 28 x 70 4 bedroom/2 bath, manufactured home and is only a couple of years old. It's on some land, not sure how big a parcel yet and the bank offered it to us for $70,000 but said if we didn't get it the asking price would be $150,000 because they can get that in the area.

Not sure if we'll be moving or not. I would love to get back down south again. I really miss living down there close to the ocean. I was only 2 hours away when I lived there. Now I'm only few hours from either Lake Michigan or Lake Erie and while they are awesome, it's nothing like the ocean!

Back
Top Bottom