Job Offer today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
I'm not sure if I'm going to take it but a neighbor of mine stopped by and asked me about working at the restaurant where he works. I've never done that but he said I'd be ok since I cook all the time anyway. Since I can't take evenings, it would only be 10 am - 2 pm on Sat. and Sun. I was a bit shocked!

Woodman, you might have heard of it...... Famous Fish of Stroh?

Well dang Allie congrats. That sounds like a huge compliment to me. Now that is a hard physical demanding job and cooking commercial is a lot different than cooking at home. I know cuz my uncle tried it one time and got totally bum fuzzled. He tried to pass himself as an experienced short order cook..which he wasnt. Trusting they will have a training program for ya...now this is assuming you aint cooked commerically before. If you have...it just be old hat stuff. Now I got a DIL who started flippin eggs at the local diner when she was about 7..her parents owned the joint. Now folks like that can come in and make a hand immediately. It take regular old home cooks a slightly longer learning curve to learn some new stuff and forget some old stuff. Just trying to think of all the angles here. Trust the Lord will lead you in the right direction on the opprotunity.

bigwheel

Thanks BW. I had an interview about 7 pm last night. Since they just bought the place, they're needing help pretty badly. They said they would talk it over and get back to me but the positive side is they didn't even make me complete the application because my neighbors word is gold to them. lol No biggie if I don't get it. It's only part time anyway and I won't work the evenings in the bar. I refuse to take away from my family life unless it's a dire need and at this time, we're not that bad off.

I have worked in a nursing home kitchen in the past. My job consisted of preparing drinks (tea, coffee, milk, juice, etc) and making desserts. I was basically a waitress during meal times. Then I worked in a convenience store several years ago that had a pizza kitchen. Most days I ran the counter but I worked quite a few shifts in the kitchen as well. My neighbor will train me and he said there's nothing to it. Salad bar prep and cooking fish, chicken, burgers and easy items like that.

Dittos to whut Brian J say. Sounds like you got the propa credentials. Dont forget..cops always get half price. ;)

bigwheel

This particular one is in Stroh, Lagrange County, Indiana. Stroh is a very small town on Big Turkey Lake. There are other restaurants but the one I "might" be working at is the original. It's small and has a very small-town look and feel. There is a bar in one side and a family restaurant in the other. Not really fancy at all but a good place to eat out. The restaurants in the menu are in Fort Wayne....about an hour from this area.

I haven't heard back from them yet. Les spoke with our neighbor yesterday and he was a bit surprised they didn't have me working already. If it happens, great, it's a little extra money, if not, I wasn't really looking anyway. I am only available for certain hours so understand if they find someone more flexible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom