Jeff E! How'd that chicken come out last night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I eat a lot of chicken thighs, and I think this was definately the best...I did them 3 times last week.

Bought some Emeril's Poultry rub just to use with em....not as good as the little bit I made up in my kitchen!

Jeff E said:
It was great! I did it the way Stogie described it a while back on TVWB. The thighs marinated overnight in Wishbone italian dressing. I then used Montreal Chicken seasoning before putting on the grill. It took 40 minutes indirect to get them to 160*. I then put them in an aluminum pan & dumped on a lot of barbecue sauce. They simmered 30 minutes in the sauce & then I put them over the hot coals to crisp up. It's defininitely the best chicken I've ever grilled.
Thanks to Captain Morgan for mentioning his cook which got me to finally try this method. It was a real hit with the family. :-D

I believe it is contained in the above quote! :smt044

Some guy named Bruce B perfected a method (I think) that Stogie got from Jumpin Jim (or Stogie's cousin Al) for the kettle. Jumpin Jim won KCBS chicken comp with this several years ago.

Here's how Bruce did em on the kettle, and I followed him exactly.

Posted August 27, 2003 06:24 PM
Don't know if I'm in the right place, but here goes. Fired up the Weber 22 1/2 for indirect cooking, lit a chimney full and added two small chunks of cherry wood to each side. Kept bottom vents barely open top vent wide open. Had prepped the bone-in thighs with Montreal Chicken Seasoning 3 hours prior. Put them on indirect until internal temp hit 160, turning once, then I placed them in an aluminum pan and poured BBQ sauce over and cooked until internal temp hit 170, then I glazed them directly over the coals until they hit 180. Boy they were great, tender and had a nice cherry smoke flavor to them. Be careful not to burn the sauce, one came REALLY close, but that skin tasted great. (Stogie, sound familiar?)

I apologize to Bruce for not clearly stating at first that I used his kettle modified method. I'm sure he and Jeff will attest to the ease of the cook.

Stogie's method is actually for a smoker, and takes a lot longer. I will be happy to post his times and techs if needed.

Back
Top Bottom