Italian Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Sorry if this is a little long. Some may find it interesting.
Made a trip to S. Phila's Italian market yesterday. What a great place.
The locals call it the 9th Street market because in consists of several blocks of food stalls along 9th St.
There are 55 gal drums with burning pallets in them to keep the vendors warm. Open air fish mongers, world class cheese stores (you have to duck around huge hanging cheeses), exotic meet market, etc.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/9thSt/

We bought a string of garlic for a buck, our xmas duck, a piece of Gator fillet, a 5# bag of goat meat (sauteed a piece up last night as a taste test....was VERY good and tender), fresh dry scallops, fresh anchovies, salted anchovies, and other stuff.
We had a Phila cheese steak sandwich w/ sauce, onions cheese and mushrooms in this little 'hole in the wall' joint that makes the worlds best. Can't get this anywhere else.
The pic of the store window has pig, goat and mystery carcases hanging up. Everybody seemed to have live ells (an Italian thing).
Barb is standing in front of the grafitte covered plastic sheet in one shot.
Several blocks away is a Chineese super market......a big one like a Giant store. They have stuff in there that I can't even gusss at. Live frogs, monster crabs, live fish and (drum roll)....."pig uterus". That's right Sunshine, whole 3# packs of uterus....all pink and nasty looking. How's that cooked? stuffed? All right, back on track here.
If you cook. this is a fantasic area to check out.

Awsome story....places like that are dying..we used to have a market here like that..but is a shadow of what it used to be.

We have a place like that in Detroit called the Eastern Market.
Pretty much anything you want they have. Great deals on meat too :D
Thanks for sharing your story Rag ;)

Reminds me of the Godfather movie...all you need is Don Corleone picking out some fruit at one of the stands.

Bruce B said:
Reminds me of the Godfather movie...all you need is Don Corleone picking out some fruit at one of the stands.

Funny you should that. The guys with the crooked noses, silk suits and Caddys run that part of Phila......the movie Rocky had a lot of truths to it, as that was the back drop for the story. There are certain things you don't do in those neighborhoods.

I've been wanting to venture up to Philly for an authentic cheese steak sandwich, and that 9th St place might be perfect. Thanks for the tip. :D

--John 8)
(Plus sausage, and cheese, and ....)

Unity said:
I've been wanting to venture up to Philly for an authentic cheese steak sandwich, and that 9th St place might be perfect. Thanks for the tip. :D

--John 8)

DO NOT GO TO GENO'S OR PATS for steak sammys. They suck.
For the real, no shXX thing, go to Lorenzo's at 9th and Christian St., which is at the end of the market on 9th.
Each steak sammy is made to order, no matter how crowded. No mountain of steak meat on a grill or floating in a tub of broth. Want onions and mushrooms? Cooked right then.
Order 'cheese steak with mushrooms, onions and sauce'. A little bit of heaven.

Rag said:
Unity said:

--John 8)

DO NOT GO TO GENO'S OR PATS for steak sammys. They suck.
For the real, no shXX thing, go to Lorenzo's at 9th and Christian St., which is at the end of the market on 9th.
Each steak sammy is made to order, no matter how crowded. No mountain of steak meat on a grill or floating in a tub of broth. Want onions and mushrooms? Cooked right then.
Order 'cheese steak with mushrooms, onions and sauce'. A little bit of heaven.
Thanks, Rag, that's great advice. Lorenzo's is on my must-do list. :D

--John 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom