Irish Mum's Brown Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I decided to give this recipe a try last night to see how well it would turn out. It is a coarse, old fashioned bread that is easy to make and really tasty. It has the consistency of a coffee cake and a really nice nutty taste. You may want to try it with corned beef. It went fast so I'll be making another loaf tomorrow.

Irish Mum's Brown Bread Recipe
3 cups whole wheat bread flour the recipe says this is best when the flour is coarse as opposed to the whole wheat flour you get which is fully milled. I used Hodgson Mills Old Fashioned Whole Wheat (Graham Flour). I think plain whole wheat flour would be fine.
1 cup unbleached unenriched white bread flour. I used Hodgson Mills.
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4+ cups buttermilk
2 ounces salted butter - recipe called for Kerrygold but are grocer only had unsalted Kerrygold
1 egg
Melt the butter over gentle heat.
In a medium-sized bowl lightly beat the egg and then gradually add the buttermilk all the while stirring to incorporate the egg. Beat in the butter.
In another bowl mix the dry ingredients (the original recipe calls for sifting but I didn't as I wanted it to be coarse) and then stir in the buttermilk mixture. The dough will be like a thick cookie dough. If your dough is too dry, mix in small splashes of buttermilk until it is the right consistency. I cooked mine in a well greased bread pan but you could cook it in in a small pie pan.
Cook at 400F for 50 minutes on the middle rack. Remove from oven and let it cool for a short while on a rack. Slice thick as it is coarse.

bbquzz said:
As Nick would say ... No picture = no bread :(
Funny thing is that my bread looked better than the picture attached to the recipe. I really need to buy a digital camera. My16 yr. old son is a photography major so we have 14 or 15 film cameras but only one digital camera. I could sell one lens from his digital camera and buy a WSM so I leave his digital camera alone.

Help him pass the class, let him take the pictures for you! I started reading your post and was getting all excited thinking I could bake this for Friday. I scrolled down and what did I find............................ no picture!

Nick Prochilo said:
Help him pass the class, let him take the pictures for you! I started reading your post and was getting all excited thinking I could bake this for Friday. I scrolled down and what did I find............................ no picture!
Give it a shot - it's about 60 minutes from start to finish. If you use a heavier wheat flour like Hodgson Mills Whole Wheat Graham Flour you might want to add another oz. of buttermilk. Then again, mine came out really well by just following the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom